Ash removal from small inserts ie: Stiker C160

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rad3110

Oct 11, 2007
Long Island NY
I had posted in the past requesting to know the cleanest way to remove ash from my insert. I really didnt get any answers that worked for me but here is what i have devised and would like some feed back. I wait until allmost all the wood is burnt out(mostly ash)first I open the choke all the way then I move all the ash to one side of my stove. I then place a steel Baking tray about 14 inches long 10 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches high in the the insert. I slowly and carefully pile all the ash into the tray and upon completion remove it, take it outside and cover it with a steel lid. THIS HAS CUT DOWN ON THE ASH DUST IN MY HOUSE TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know All the ash is now going up and some lining my chimney but with proper cleaning and maintanence I can't imagine this would be a problem. Appreciate any and all feedback

Good innovation rad every now and then I see there's a topic on reducing ash use...because it dusts everything withing 30ft or so. Me I burn hot all the time and am amazed on the lower amount of ash I'm producing compared to my old stove.

That striker is one tiny stove and you'll unfortunately need to scoop ashes more often than most.

I have found that if you clean ashes while they are hot that the ashes tend to float away on the rising hot air currents from the ash bucket. Cold ashes stick together much better and don't float away on their own heat.

I minimize the number of scoops by filling each scoop all the way before dumping into my ash bucket. Each time the ashes slide from the scoop into the bucket a good plume of ash is created. Less scoops means less ash in the air.

Don't clean out the stove until it really needs it. Less cleanings mean less times that the ash is diturbed and a cleaner hearth.

I know size matters : ) but seriously the little striker does a great job and has save me a ton of money on oil. It has performed admirably. The major downfall of course is how often it has to be cleaned. One person wrote they used big scoops, thats true it definately cuts down on dust. Someone also wrote the hot coals make the ash rise with the hot air comming off the coal, also true. That why it is important to let the coals really burn down. Unfortunately only the striker C160. C180 or the Regency 1100 or 1200 would fit in my prefab fireplace. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the Regency 1200( im still very happy with my Stiker C160) however the ash problem would have been the same. So far, through experimentation I have found the method I devised to work the best.........but im always willing to improve or adapt a better idea. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.