Ashes for ice-melt.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
We've got ice here. And there is nothing like wood ashes for melting the stuff. I always keep some on hand in winter just for such an emergency.

I've got a long gravel driveway with a fairly steep approach where it meets the asphalt road. I took 30 gal. of ashes to lay down on the last 50 feet so that my car would not slide down the slope, across the road, and into the ditch on the other side. A messy job, but no problem.

While there a neighbor was trying to get his 4X4 pickup up the small grade on the road - with no success whatsoever. He finally got one wheel off in the ditch and was immobilized. I laid down about a four foot track of ash behind each wheel and he pulled right out. He gave up on his destination and turned around. This failed also as the steeper grade in the other direction foiled him completely. There was enough ash left to make a 50 foot set of tracks in front of him which gave him enough traction and momentum to make it on up the hill.

Yes ashes are awesome for ice. We use them all the time on a steep section of our access road. They really stick like glue to the icy surface as well as car tires.

Agree with jetsam--don't use where feet will pick them up and track them anywhere, due to said sticking...

We've had at least three thaws followed by ice and/or snow . . . my problem now is I'm not generating enough ash to keep up with the ice on the driveway.

I've had some success by using wood shavings in its place on the ice, but while it helps some, it does not provide nearly the same amount of traction as the ash.

Ash is great on ice. I use chips from the saw near the house to keep the ash away from the walkway. The chips get into the house, but are easily swept up. Plus, collecting the chips gives the kids something to do after I cut up a tree.

Reactions: coutufr
May have to try. Gunpowder and burnt gunpowder are lousy traction aids.

...unless you burn old pallets or anything else that has nails or screws. THAT can end poorly. I've heard.

Reactions: moresnow
May have to try. Gunpowder and burnt gunpowder are lousy traction aids.

Now I am imagining you dragging an enormous wooden Wil E. Coyote style keg of gunpowder up and down a long driveway...

Ashes for ice-melt.

Ash is great on ice! But, keep it a long long long long long way away from the house ;) It definitely does not make for a happy wife!

Guess I wasn't the only one digging through a frozen pile of ash with a screwdriver last night.....That's the major advantage over burning coal. No matter how you store coal ash, it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and becomes like cement in or out of a container.

Edit; DISadvantage

Last edited:
I always have a 55 gallon metal trash can or two of ashes on hand for ice. But I actually keep ALL of my ashes from all winter long. Most of it goes to making lye so I can make soap. Some of it goes into the compost as well.

I always have a 55 gallon metal trash can or two of ashes on hand for ice. But I actually keep ALL of my ashes from all winter long. Most of it goes to making lye so I can make soap. Some of it goes into the compost as well.

I am going to make compost next year, and read that I should not put too much ash into it, just the correct amount. How do you get it right in your compost?

Just a small amount. Like maybe a cup for a large 4'x4'x4' pile.

Reactions: diverscale
I am going to make compost next year, and read that I should not put too much ash into it, just the correct amount. How do you get it right in your compost?

I actually put out a good bit, but I compost on a pretty big scale as I spread over 8 acres. Really just know your soil ph, and what amendments you need. As fertilizer, consider wood ash as 0 - 1 - 10