Ashford 30 owners, pics of glass please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
23 pages of Blaze King talk on another thread and only one pic posted here in response to the original poster's request? And that one response praises the clear glass benefits of a Blaze King? I never considered a BK because of their reputation for nasty glass which was a negative to the #1 item on my list of "musts." What is going on here?
Well, If you want to get into technical reasons for the dirtier glass, here we go.
The king seems to have the dirtiest glass, due to the depth of the firebox and the angle of the glass. This causes lots of extra turbulence in the firebox, combine that with the VERY slow burning capabilities, dirty glass results. Small price to pay for 40 hour burns!

The princess has a shallower firebox, therefore tends to have cleaner glass. But can still be gummed up easily with a slow burn and/or wet wood. It still experiences these turbulence issues with the deep floor and the angled glass.

The Sirrico/Ashford does not have a deep belly or angled glass, therefore reducing the turbulence greatly! This allows the air wash to work more effieciently. But the cost is shorter burn times. Only 30 hours or so. :cool:

Reactions: NVHunter
Here was mine this morning, 12 hours or so after the picture above. It was on medium low all night.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nv hunter, one thing to consider about going to 30 deg is the amount of vertical pipe you will lose. I had a similar situation as yours and was initially gonna use 45s, stove shop guy suggested I use 30s so it would be easier to push a brush in and out. I ended up being surprised at how much vertical pipe before the elbow I lost. You already are tight based on your drawing. It would probably put you under minimum requirements.

This is more of reality.......==c......And is after a low burn with not so perfect wood.....;em
That's just terrible....but I'll help you out and top the highest offer by five bucks. ==c
the cost is shorter burn times. Only 30 hours or so. :cool:
That must be very frustrating. ;lol

Nv hunter, one thing to consider about going to 30 deg is the amount of vertical pipe you will lose. I had a similar situation as yours and was initially gonna use 45s, stove shop guy suggested I use 30s so it would be easier to push a brush in and out. I ended up being surprised at how much vertical pipe before the elbow I lost. You already are tight based on your drawing. It would probably put you under minimum requirements.
So are you saying stay with the 45s?

I haven't even looked at what I'd need for 30s. I'll have to buy all new stove pipe as I already have the DVL stove pipe system purchased.

This is more of reality.............And is after a low burn with not so perfect wood.....Click to expand...
That's just terrible....but I'll help you out and top the highest offer by five bucks.

Lol..............No sale here...........You would have to pry it out of my burned and melting finger tips first.........;lol

Reactions: webby3650

I haven't even looked at what I'd need for 30s. I'll have to buy all new stove pipe as I already have the DVL stove pipe system purchased.

Our 45s are easy to clean. There are no 30 deg. elbows in the DVL line.

No I'd definitely go with what you already have sounds like the consensus is that it will be fine.

Begreen, what kind of rods are you using on your brush? Does it push through easily?

Reactions: NVHunter
I have the sooteater black rods. They pass through easily.

Yea I'd have to buy a completely different brand and system if I went with 30s, and for what, who knows if there'd be a noticeable difference in draft between the two.

Can someone say there is a definite difference between a series of 30 degree elbows and a series of 45 degree elbows affecting the draft?

Yea I'd have to buy a completely different brand and system if I went with 30s, and for what, who knows if there'd be a noticeable difference in draft between the two.

Can someone say there is a definite difference between a series of 30 degree elbows and a series of 45 degree elbows affecting the draft?
I really doubt you will find 30 degree elbows for connector pipe, only chimney and vice versa. With a chimney that has the proper height, I doubt you would ever see any difference.

My 30s are excel ultra black, if I did it over again I would go with 45s just for a cleaner look.

Status
Not open for further replies.