Ashford 30 vs King 40?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
I've narrowed it down and found a dealer who has the Ashford black for $3800 and the King for $4000.

We'll be heating a 2000 sqft ranch.

We like the look of the Ashford but can't determine if the King would be better... Or TOO big.

Is one easier to load than the other? Are both relatively clean from an ash clean out standpoint?

Any concerns about flue height from a short ranch standpoint? Our flue will be 12' from the top of stove past the peak of the house.

Thanks all,

The King has a bigger tank, should not burn hotter unless the thermostat is turned up. The Ashford is a much better looking stove that uses less expensive 6" stove pipe and chimney + fittings. 12' is on the short side so there may be smoke spillage when opening the stove door on milder weather days. If so, add a couple of feet and add a brace at 5ft. from the roof exit.

The King has a bigger tank, should not burn hotter unless the thermostat is turned up. The Ashford is a much better looking stove that uses less expensive 6" stove pipe and chimney + fittings. 12' is on the short side so there may be smoke spillage when opening the stove door on milder weather days. If so, add a couple of feet and add a brace at 5ft. from the roof exit.
Thanks, we could likely extend it a bit. Would it be better to run it along the outside of the house? It will be against an exterior wall so both are options.. through the attic or otherwise.

Straight up is much better and often less expensive.

Sorry, I meant regarding draft. Would having the chimney outside make a difference for better or worse?
Straight up will be much better with regards to draft

Note the 8" pipe for a King would add considerably to the cost as compared to the 6" pipe for the Ashford.

Reactions: dafattkidd
If you can afford the 8 inch pipe, King all day. If you are planning to sell the house in the next 10-20 years future buyers will 'likely' prefer to see the more standard 6" pipe, then BK 30 box all day.

Neither is a turd.

Looks of the Ashford and 6” pipes lower cost would seal the deal for me. Unless I needed really needed 12-24 hour burn cycles.

Looks - I like the King better. @EbS-P likes the Ashford better. All of that doesn't matter because neither of us are your significant other...
Happy wife happy life.

On the other hand, the Ashford can do 24 hr burns easily too. But at a lower output than the King at a 24 hr cycle. The larger firebox of the King allows you to put more BTUs (wood) in, and thus to extend the duration of BTU release at the same rate.

Reactions: EbS-P
Give me exorbitant amounts of money and I’ll take the king and build a hearth like this one! But I’ll need enough to build the house too! It can look great in some spaces.

37EFFCA0-50DB-4141-886B-15582A1B419A.jpeg

Reactions: stoveliker
Give me exorbitant amounts of money and I’ll take the king and build a hearth like this one! But I’ll need enough to build the house too! It can look great in some spaces.

View attachment 298625
Nope the alcove looks great the stove still has comical proportions

Reactions: EbS-P
Thank you all for the help. We decided on the Ashford 30. We decided where to locate the stove (as discussed in my other thread)-- it will be near our westerly patio sliding door. I feel that a convective heater like the Ashford be better at heating the space than the King, which would probably put a lot of its heat into the glass door.