Ashford Purchase - Is My Wood Dry Enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumpin' Wood

Feb 9, 2015
Temagami, ON
I've been lurking for about a year now as I am planning to replace my Jotul 3TD (pre EPA) with a stove that produces a lot less creosote.

At this point, I have almost convinced myself to go with a Blaze King Ashford but I have one last question. The owner's manual recommends wood with a moisture content of 13% or less. Our place is on a lake and the three year old ash that I have stacked ranges from 14% to 20% when freshly split. It tested the same after two years of drying.

Can any Blaze King owners tell me whether this will be dry enough wood to run the stove on a low setting?

It will be fine. Those moisture content recommendations are extreme and nearly impossible to obtain in most parts of the country.

Of all the stoves I've had, and it's been a bunch! Blaze Kings have been the most forgiving with under seasoned wood.

Yup to above. You will be fine with wood at 20%, i have burnt some to prove it to myself. Drier is better if you can, down to 12% or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.