Ask and you shall receive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

op_man1

Mar 11, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Ok, so I'm kind of new to this wood business. I thought I had seen quite a bit, though, having accumulated 7.5 cords in the last 1.5 years. So when I saw the tree service guys working this morning and asked them to drop stuff off today, I thought hey, more is good! Now I have a 6 foot long 36 inch log sitting in my driveway. AND lots of silver maple. And lots of Jack Pine. I probably have a total of 2 or 3 cords in the driveway. And really inadequate equipment to process it. To those of you who have elevated wood processing to an art form, I salute you. After this, and considering some other wood that I have commited to taking, I will probably be good for the next 4-5 years. Hmm, maybe if I sell a few facecords I could buy a good chainsaw...

Congrats on the score!

btw how did you process the 7.5 scrounged cords without a chain saw? ;-)

Borrowed it. It is a cheap HD Ryobi. Does the job. Borrowing it again for this but might need to rent a good one for the big stuff. Guess it won't be free anymore!

That's a very impressive amount of wood in such a short period of time. Even if you rent/buy you'll still be ahead of the game.

op_man1 said:
Borrowed it. It is a cheap HD Ryobi. Does the job. Borrowing it again for this but might need to rent a good one for the big stuff. Guess it won't be free anymore!

Just play/cut safe!!!!

HD in the states rents the Makita 6401 (I don't know about up north). This saw should be enough to get you through the 36" stuff if you have a 20"+ bar. Ideally you'd want a 80cc+ saw for that wood, but a 60cc saw will get the job done with a little more time.

BTW, some of the HD stores will sell their used 6401 for under $200 when they are done with them... the saw is a bargain at that price. For another $200 it can be upgraded to an 80cc saw by just changing the P&C;and retuning.

And, Bailey's is currently selling the 6401 for $540.

Status
Not open for further replies.