Astria Montecito Estate vs. Elite 44

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newengland86

Jul 31, 2020
New England
All,
I posted a week ago and wanted to thank you all for the responses, it helped my wife and I narrow down our options to the 2 following units, the Fireplace Xtrordinair Elite 44 and Astria Montecito Estate.

While I have found a ton of information on the Elite 44 I have found (and searched on here) for the Montecito Estate and have found very little. From my research they seem to be similar in heat output and size, however IMO the plus to the Montecito Estate is it uses a 2100 F tested double pipe, while the Elite 44 is air cooled with 1500F pipe. In our cold climate of New England this seems to be a huge plus for condensation, drafts etc. I also like the piece of mind that the Montecito Estate does not have to be air cooled in the pipe of surrounding stove if power fails. Am I overreacting with this? Both are beautiful and I am sure either would heat our 3,000 square feet, I have read a ton of happy Elite 44 owners.

Let me know your opinions, I keep going back and forth between the two. The Elite 44 comes with a Positive air system with 388cfm fan while the Montecito Estate has an optional 355 cfm fan, but I am assuming they will heat similarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: havermeyer
Well for me the ability to remotely locate the blower was the decision maker...

Well for me the ability to remotely locate the blower was the decision maker...
Thats a good point, something we didnt even consider. I am still leaning towards the Elite 44, but the one shop got me concerned when he was complaining about the Elite 44s air cooled pipe, not 2100F Class A. Ironically this was the shop trying to sell the Mantecito Estate.

Mrs. FPX would only go for the insert so that's why I got and luv it. But, to tell you the truth, if I was in your part of the country, I'd probably do a free standing in an alcove, or some other option that didn't require electricity, and probably get more overall heat and longer burn times.

I’m yet to see a ZC fireplace that will out perform a 44 elite. Remote blower, positive pressure, big heat.. can you install a generator in the event you lose power? Did the shop that was dogging it sell FPX as well?

Mrs. FPX would only go for the insert so that's why I got and luv it. But, to tell you the truth, if I was in your part of the country, I'd probably do a free standing in an alcove, or some other option that didn't require electricity, and probably get more overall heat and longer burn times.

My wife loves the FPX looks also. You and I are on the same page, I would do a beautiful masonry chimney with alcove and a huge stove if it were only my call lol.

I’m yet to see a ZC fireplace that will out perform a 44 elite. Remote blower, positive pressure, big heat.. can you install a generator in the event you lose power? Did the shop that was dogging it sell FPX as well?

I am not positive if they sold the FPX, however they did comment (and there seems to be a fair amount of truth to it as well) on the same air cooled vs. double/triple insulated pipe argument in cold parts of the country.

I am close to the MA border and its not uncommon to get lows in my area below freezing a Late Oct/November to March and really cold (average low temps 15-20 nightly) for 3-4 months out of the year. I 100% am installing a generator w/ automatic transfer switch with the new build.

I was told that although the FPX is a great unit, the air cooled pipe is not recommended in these lower temperatures, and that a insulated double wall pipe would perform much better. The Montecito Estate does have a 355cfm blower , but does not have the full positive pressure system. The shop was certainly not dismissive about the Elite 44 and did compliment it, but definitely seemed to have some knowledge on the other unit (Montecito Estate) in this climate/area. I know the FPX unit is a workhorse there is no questioning that. I am just wondering if the condensation, air cooling, and vent issues of the more complicated system are worth worrying about. I am really just trying to research and make a definite decision on which one is ultimately better for us.

Last edited:
I am not positive if they sold the FPX, however they did comment (and there seems to be a fair amount of truth to it as well) on the same air cooled vs. double/triple insulated pipe argument in cold parts of the country.

I am close to the MA border and its not uncommon to get lows in my area below freezing a Late Oct/November to March and really cold (average low temps 15-20 nightly) for 3-4 months out of the year. I 100% am installing a generator w/ automatic transfer switch with the new build.

I was told that although the FPX is a great unit, the air cooled pipe is not recommended in these lower temperatures, and that a insulated double wall pipe would perform much better. The Montecito Estate does have a 355cfm blower , but does not have the full positive pressure system. The shop was certainly not dismissive about the Elite 44 and did compliment it, but definitely seemed to have some knowledge on the other unit (Montecito Estate) in this climate/area. I know the FPX unit is a workhorse there is no questioning that. I am just wondering if the condensation, air cooling, and vent issues of the more complicated system are worth worrying about. I am really just trying to research and make a definite decision on which one is ultimately better for us.
Doesn’t sound all that cold. It sounds like you’ve already made your mind up anyway. Good luck.

Doesn’t sound all that cold. It sounds like you’ve already made your mind up anyway. Good luck.

Its certainly not Canada but the lows here on average can get down pretty good. Its not uncommon to have weeks in around zero or under. That was the only reason the air cooled and positive pressure system vs. insulated class A came into play. Still doing research on both, and still going back and forth. :(

Not sure if you decided yet or not but being a previous owner of the smaller version of the Motecito and current owner of an FPX, you can't compare the quality/workmanship. The FPX is just built way better IMO.

I visited and took a tour of the Travis factory a few years ago. Unfortunately, you were not allowed to take pictures. Too bad. I have a memorable image of the hand-forged surrounds being made. They are forged and made by hand, not machine. The blacksmith's arms were impressive and probably thicker than my thighs!