Attempted Blaze King Install Today...No Go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a pic of the wall, showing the original location we had chosen for the stove.

Here is a little explanation to help understand the layout. In the lower right of the pic, the carpet and vinyl floor intersection makes a straight line...if this line were to continue through the wall, it would blend right into the exterior wall of the sun room on the other side (if that makes any sense). We are planning to build an over-sized hearth, in the future, that will go from the sun room doorway to the vinyl floor...almost wide enough to accommodate 2 stoves.

So, originally we were planning to put the stove to the left of the electrical receptacle that's on the wall...creating all of the pipe routing issues. I have been hesitant to move the stove to the right of the electrical receptacle because the door on the stove opens from right to left...running the risk of sparks jumping out of the stove and onto the vinyl floor. With the over-sized hearth, opening the door and having sparks jump out didn't worry me so much because they would likely land on the hearth. But, potentially landing on the vinyl worries me.

My question is: am I justified to be worried about this? If so, is there a way to minimize this risk?

I'm not sure if we will actually clear the valley by sliding the stove to the right...we may be on the other side of the valley but still slightly in it. But, sliding the stove to the right should make it easier to route the pipe into the corner of the sun room.

Attachments

• Attempted Blaze King Install Today...No Go
    LR Wall.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 258
You are correct. The large hearth will catch 99% of popping embers. This is not a daily thing and it depends on the wood being burned. Some wood doesn't spark or pop much at all. Actually the vinyl might stand up better than the carpet if a spark jumped past the hearth. If one does, just act quickly and pick it up with the leather gloved hand.

The stove has a very large ash lip. If you load NS and burn full loads fully through the full burn cycle, it is very unlikely that anything is coming out the door. If you or anyone else in the house are a throw a log on the fire style burner or you don't keep the coal bed under control, that is a different story.

One of the best things about an over-sized hearth is that few, if any embers or sparks, go beyond the hearth . . . and my hearth is not as large as it could have been . . . I wouldn't worry too much about the vinyl flooring . . . just be careful. If you are really concerned you could always purchase a small hearth rug and place it over the vinyl for added protection.

Thanks for all of the input. I think sliding the stove to the right of our original location may be the answer. I'll have to get the installers back to see what pipe routing options we have. At least, if we have to 90 and go through the wall it will place the pipe in the corner of the sun room...much more manageable to conceal.

Thanks again!!!

The BK is a big stove that likes to burn low which is what you will do the majority of the time. Avoid the 90 if you can.

SolarAndWood said:
The BK is a big stove that likes to burn low which is what you will do the majority of the time. Avoid the 90 if you can.

I second that, especially here on the Eastern Shore, you will not have that stove burning full tilt for a good part of the winter season. I also second ditching the 90's due to your shorter chimney.

I

Avoid the 45's and meet the codes and standards that are supposed to keep you safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.