ATV + trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I own the same trailer as @sportbikerider78 , I can attest that this is one of the best trailers I ever owned, I cant break it for nothing, it is built stout and awesome, had it for about 5-6 years now.

I sold mine shortly after I bought it. It was quicker and easier to make two trips with the Ranger bed than it was to mess with the trailer. I was only hauling a short distance though.

Not to get into a brand to brand discussion and I also have no UTV experience but from my experience a standard Polaris ATV rides great but is not made for heavy work like hauling or towing. If it was me I go with a solid axle, gear transmission Honda.

I would have to agree with Chimney Smoke's comment. Although cvt transmissions have come a long way over the years, I don't think they would hold up well to heavy towing or hauling. I use a trx300fw and a small, cheap garden tractor to haul a lot of my firewood. The area I cut is very rugged and steep with ruts, rocks, and debris. I have a small pickup that I also use, but it uses way more gas than the atv does. ( i can get more cords of wood per gallon using the atv)...

I would have to agree with Chimney Smoke's comment. Although cvt transmissions have come a long way over the years, I don't think they would hold up well to heavy towing or hauling. I use a trx300fw and a small, cheap garden tractor to haul a lot of my firewood. The area I cut is very rugged and steep with ruts, rocks, and debris. I have a small pickup that I also use, but it uses way more gas than the atv does. ( i can get more cords of wood per gallon using the atv)...
I would have agreed with you too...till i was proven wrong with my grizzly. It is tough as hell and holds up to hauling. The transmission is bulletproof. It drives and hauls like new with over 1300 hrs on it.
I have pulled trees down with it. Pulled trees out of the woods and up my driveway. Hauled countless trailer fulls of wood out of the woods. Towed my log splitter. I winched a ditch witch out of the mud with it.
In the winter it pushes my 400lb snow blower up my driveway and has power to spare.

Would you rather rebuild a gear transmission or slap on a new belt?

Materials change. Designs improve. The CVT's are now amazing.

Gear transmissions have clutches too. A centrifugal and a manual disc clutch ehus is wet. They do go out over time and aren't cheap to replace. Yamaha just started a 10000 mile warranty on there belts. That's saying something about cat. I dont mean to bash Polaris, but I have had and replaced more belts and clutches on them than any other 4wheeler or utv.

Gear transmissions have clutches too. A centrifugal and a manual disc clutch ehus is wet. They do go out over time and aren't cheap to replace. Yamaha just started a 10000 mile warranty on there belts. That's saying something about cat. I dont mean to bash Polaris, but I have had and replaced more belts and clutches on them than any other 4wheeler or utv.

When Honda or Yamaha make a big bore ATV....I'll buy it. Even though I can't complain about the 700 I have. It's super powerful.
I have had ATVs and dirt bikes my entire life. I have wrenched on all of them and they have all evolved, but in different ways.
I'll bash Polaris and CanAm. They can't hold a stick to Honda and Yamaha for reliability. However, they do make some interesting machines.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I sold mine shortly after I bought it. It was quicker and easier to make two trips with the Ranger bed than it was to mess with the trailer. I was only hauling a short distance though.

I think I would have used both. With my situation anyway.

ATV + trailer I like my 2006 Honda Rubicon 500 that I bought new and back then it only cost me $5200. Its not real fast but I didn’t buy it for its speed. It is very reliable and I pull a Polar trailer usually loaded up with wood behind it.

Reactions: duramaxman05
ATV + trailer
The picture is old (it was my 2010 Polaris Sportsman 550) but it pulled the loaded Polaris dump trailer with no problem. I moved up to a 2012 Ranger 500 UTV and then a 2016 Ranger 900 Hunter Deluxe and I've had the bed and the trailer full of hardwood and never had a problem.

I don't trailer the UTV but I do trailer a snowmobile and sled to get firewood during the winter. I haul bucked wood back to the truck and fill the truck bed. The trailer is just for the snowmobile and sled.

I’ve never had Polaris ATV’s but I have owned a few of their sleds and I thought they were awesome. My last one was a XCSP 700. I miss that sled.

Is that your place in the background? Looks nice and it looks like many a places up here in the north woods.

In the first picture, yes. Thanks. The pinkish colored house in the background of the second photo is our neighbor.

I skid all my wood out with my father's 55hp Kubota tractor. It isn't much to pull a 50' or 60' ash about 3' across. If they aren't on the hedge row I'll usually cut it into 3 or so pieces and pull it up to where we process and stack. When bringing to the house from my stack in my driveway I'll use my little ATV trailer and Polaris. My little Polaris 500 has been bullet proof but will be getting upgrading to a tractor next. I want to do the tractor and build a carry all for firewood and use the bucket for tools.

Where I get my wood and where I live are separate locations a little less than 50 miles apart. I need a small tractor for my house and 40 acres.