ATV + trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
I am going to buy a Polaris Sportsman 570 SP hunter edition. What I'd like to do is be able to trailer the ATV to the woods and then hook the trailer onto the ATV and fill with wood and trailer the firewood + ATV back home. Does anyone else do this, what size trailer should I go with?

It sounds like you are going to need two trailers, one small one to hook on to your ATV to transport wood out of the woods, and one big one to transport your wood, ATV, and small trailer home. Otherwise, you are planing to transport both your ATV and your wood on the same small trailer home, and I do not think that would work too well.

It might come down to what the woods are like where you will be pulling the trailer through, but that would be a compromised situation IMO.

I use an ATV & trailer in the woods. The wheels of the trailer follow where the wheels of the ATV went (same width). Wouldn't want wider. And, I would not want an ATV woods trailer that wasn't a walking beam trailer.

If I wanted to trailer everything out somewhere, then go to the woods with ATV & trailer, I would have two trailers. The big one for the road, that would hold ATV & woods trailer while hooked together, and also some wood for the ride back.

I kinda sorta did something like this . . . but with a caveat.

I loaded my ATV in the pick up and attached the ATV trailer to my truck.

At the wood lot I unloaded the ATV and used the ATV trailer to load my pick up.

Hauled the wood home. Returned. Repeated the process three or so times before calling it a day . . . at which point I returned and loaded the ATV into the empty pick up.

This worked for me simply because I was cutting maybe 15 minutes from home. If it was a long haul it might not have worked out so well.

I suppose you could have a larger trailer and haul the ATV and ATV trailer to the woodlot. Load the back of the pick up bed with wood and then load up the ATV and trailer.

I am going to buy a Polaris Sportsman 570 SP hunter edition. What I'd like to do is be able to trailer the ATV to the woods and then hook the trailer onto the ATV and fill with wood and trailer the firewood + ATV back home. Does anyone else do this, what size trailer should I go with?

I’ve been looking at the exact same thing. I priced a 570 full size Ranger and it has more towing and has the payload. I’m going with a 5x10 that will haul it and the Ranger to the woods. Everything is close enough I’ll just pull the trailer. Here is the caveat. The ranger is $2500 cheaperbtgan the hunter edition sportsman withou a windshield or top, $1000 for the good Polaris stuff.

So you get a bed to haul gear and more ability to tow. In all honesty adding brakes to a trailer is easy and you can do it and wire it for under $300 and the eliminate the stopping issue that limits the towing.

I’ve been looking at the exact same thing. I priced a 570 full size Ranger and it has more towing and has the payload. I’m going with a 5x10 that will haul it and the Ranger to the woods. Everything is close enough I’ll just pull the trailer. Here is the caveat. The ranger is $2500 cheaperbtgan the hunter edition sportsman withou a windshield or top, $1000 for the good Polaris stuff.

So you get a bed to haul gear and more ability to tow. In all honesty adding brakes to a trailer is easy and you can do it and wire it for under $300 and the eliminate the stopping issue that limits the towing.
I am ending up going with polaris ranger 570 midsize with roof, windshield, plow and winch. Figure load up the ranger and bring back to truck if trailer to big to get into woods. A lot easier than carrying wood to the truck & I can access it a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am ending up going with polaris ranger 570 midsize with roof, windshield, plow and winch. Figure load up the ranger and bring back to truck if trailer to big to get into woods. A lot easier than carrying wood to the truck & I can access it a lot easier.

I looked hard at the midsize too. I may go that route. The 500 has the exact same specs as the 570 mid or full size

Have you looked for used. I’d stay away fro Polaris used but we have Gators at work and they are one hell of a machine. Just pricey new. We have a couple with over 2000 miles and no problems though.

I looked hard at the midsize too. I may go that route. The 500 has the exact same specs as the 570 mid or full size

Have you looked for used. I’d stay away fro Polaris used but we have Gators at work and they are one hell of a machine. Just pricey new. We have a couple with over 2000 miles and no problems though.
Only difference I saw between 500 and 570's was HP 35 for 500 and 44hp for 570 mid and full.

Only difference I saw between 500 and 570's was HP 35 for 500 and 44hp for 570 mid and full.

The original 800’s were 39-40. You may lose 4-5 mph is it. If you pulling a trailer it’s not too bad. Looked at one of these the other day.

4F2C4DCF-220B-4CCE-B7A7-888E8731E584.png

Ive had my 2011 500 Polaris Ranger for near 4 years now and Ive been extremely happy with it. I bought it used for 5k. I think its around 2800 miles now.

Do you tow with it?

It pulls a small trailer loaded (18 cu ft) like it wasn't there. I pull my big trailer (7x10 single axle) around the back yard easy enough. If towing big loads was a primary reason I was using it I would look at a tractor or one of the tractor type side by side like a Kubota or Gator. Personally I would never have one of that type. I would get a tractor instead.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3c46.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3c46.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4026.JPG
    IMG_4026.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_4241.JPG
    IMG_4241.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 186
  • fullsizeoutput_3ca6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3ca6.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 196
Not to get into a brand to brand discussion and I also have no UTV experience but from my experience a standard Polaris ATV rides great but is not made for heavy work like hauling or towing. If it was me I go with a solid axle, gear transmission Honda.

Well, I decided on the polaris ranger![emoji3]View attachment 234515

Nice what year is it?. Looks identical to my 2011 less a bunch of dirt and scrapes. Winch, top and windshield too. All the good stuff you need. Plow also?

Well, it looks like you made a decision.

The land I get my wood from here is pretty tight and uneven. I bought a Mountain Goat trailer. It lives up to it's name. Here's a pic of it behind my tractor, but now it's behind my Yamaha 450 ATV. I like the Yamaha because it's a little smaller and narrower and that's nice out in the woods.
DSC02216.JPG

Reactions: Hammy
I own the same trailer as @sportbikerider78 , I can attest that this is one of the best trailers I ever owned, I cant break it for nothing, it is built stout and awesome, had it for about 5-6 years now.

Reactions: sportbikerider78