Auberins AT210-T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So far my washer thermocouple on my single wall stovepipe is dead on as well compared to my magnetic stovepipe thermometer and my infrared gun.

The TC must be insulated from ambient to get accurate stove top temps.
That makes some sense - but how to do it?

Maddening that I paid more for the stove top magnet when the simple washer one is reported to be more accurate.

The TC must be insulated from ambient to get accurate stove top temps.
That makes some sense - but how to do it?

Maddening that I paid more for the stove top magnet when the simple washer one is reported to be more accurate.

The washer is definetly accurate and quite quick reacting it would seem. I'm wondering now where I should set my high alarm for this setup. I can get up to 600 on a hot restart and that's starting to seem pretty roasty. I'm thinking maybe 650 or 700? The alarm is quite, well, alarming so I don't want it coming on at all in normal operation.

I set my high alarm at 550 for the magnetic one because that is when my IR gun will say 650 or 700

You can have up to 10 slave temp readers. Plug and play on slave reader. All settings are automatically replicated.

I purchased with the surface mount probe and cut that one over to the existing AT200 model equivalent.

I then used existing flue probe with the AT210 and put the slave reader upstairs.

If I could get a thermocouple to work with one of my Wireless Tags I'd be set for the online monitoring piece.

You can connect a DS18B20 as a digital probe to their reed switch so that might be open to options even though application is not really relevant for a woodstove.

Quite happy with the performance of this set-up still. My washer thermocouple has proven to be within 10 degrees variance at most(usually 4-5) with my IR gun. It reacts to air adjustments nearly immediately, much faster reacting than my spring thermometers that I have for stovetop and stovepipe.

Still need to cleanup my install a bit. But its operating well.
Auberins AT210-T

So I've been considering getting another auberin unit for my insert. I'm not happy with my lack of monitoring ability. The stovetop of the insert seems like the logical thing to monitor but I'm unsure of my best bet. My ring thermocouple still seems deadly accurate and fast acting on my single wall stovepipe on my summit freestander and the reports in this thread of the magnetic one not working well have me wondering what the best thermocouple and way to mount it would be?

My insert chimney is fully insulated and I'm not looking to rip down my block off plate and roxul to try and mount a thermocouple aways up to monitor flue temps twelve to eighteen inches away. I'd be happy with a accurate stovetop reading.

I may end up ordering a probe thermocouple. I'd like to switch my summit freestander over to double wall connecting pipe, so I'd use the probe on it. Then I'd just have to figure the best way and place to mount the ring thermocouple to the insert?

I experienced the same thing with my magnetic TC ( home made one).
I would read significantly lower than the magnetic or the IR, and did not
seem to respond fast enough.

So what I did was to take a ring type TC and remove the terminal and bond
the TC to the stove with some furnace cement with some copper filings added.
Now it is very close to the IR and the mag and response is much faster.
View attachment 172049View attachment 172051

When you say 'remove the terminal' you mean you took the ring off? And then there were two leads that you cemented to the stovetop? Was there any considerations when doing that? Are the wires touching? Or a certain distance apart? Also did you try just cementing the thermocouple with the ring in place to the top of the stove? Lastly has this continued to work out well for you?

At first I tried cementing the thermocouple with the ring to the stove top.
It worked OK, I thought I would respond quicker with out the ring, so I removed it, it looks like this
Auberins AT210-T
The problem is the cement eventually becomes un-bonded from the stove so you have to re do it.
I need to find a way to make the bond more permanent.

Reactions: Squisher
So do you feel it's quicker acting now?

At first I tried cementing the thermocouple with the ring to the stove top.
It worked OK, I thought I would respond quicker with out the ring, so I removed it, it looks like this
View attachment 192577
The problem is the cement eventually becomes un-bonded from the stove so you have to re do it.
I need to find a way to make the bond more permanent.
Can it be spot welded in place?

Last edited: