Auger Rotation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OU812

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2008
California
I have an Envirofire ef2 pellet stove and I am replacing the motor. What direction does the auger go? Somebody told me that if you imagine that the auger is a large screw, it would not go into wood if it is turning in the right direction.

I think I finally got it. It is rotating clockwise as you look down towards it from the hopper lid. Seems to be working and I am finally dropping pellets! I bought this stove at a "great" price about a year ago and it has been a real effort to get it going. The guy I bought it from lived about 5 hours away from me and did not have it plugged in so I could try the unit. He seemed to have a nice house and lots of money so I didnt really sweat the fact I couldnt try it out. When I got it home it wouldnt work. I then called a stove tech thinking even if I had to sink $100.00 into it I would still be ahead of the game. I drove this beast about an hour away to the tech house and left it with him. After $80.00 in labor he said the stove was fine and he ran it for 3 hours to make sure. I got home, plugged it in and it still didnt work. I called the tech and he drove up to my house to inform me that my auger timer must have gone out. I ordered a new auger timer and discovered that the stove still did not run after I installed it. The tech I was working with would not return my calls or offer me any more assistance. I think he must have felt that my stove was beyond his capabilities but didnt want to admit it. I called another tech and for $100.00 he came out and told me I needed a new motor. I promptly bought and installed the new motor but still it was not running. I called the new tech back but he told me that he was very busy and it would be a long time before he could come out to look at it again. So I drug my stove back down to the dealer and for a $50.00 evaluation fee he told me my wiring was all screwed up. I would also like to mention that I tried to load the stove into the truck myself and broke the glass after dropping the unit (its heavy!) he wanted $300.00 to rewire the stove which I did not have. I pulled the wiring diagram off the internet and saw that nothing was matching. I brought the stove home and had my brother in law rewire it for a 12 pack of beer and now it works. I wonder had the two techs I called earlier caught the wiring issue it may have saved me some money in the parts that kept shorting out. So after many months and about $1000 I finally have a working pellet stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.