automate air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikerino

Jan 17, 2023
NH
Hi, I have the Jotul Oslo 500, I've had it about a month, first experience with any wood stove.
Is there a device that can move the air intake control to automate it? Seems like it would be convenient to stuff it with wood, air all the way open, 15 minutes, closed or mostly closed. Sorry if this has been discussed or is really dumb.

It’s not a dumb idea, but could you imagine the liability should something like that fail? It could easily set a house on fire.

VC and Blaze King have automatic dampers on some of their stoves.

I think the new Oslo has a secondary air thermostat? Not sure why they didn’t incorporate that into the primary air?

Search the forums. They’re a couple home brew systems.

Once you really get to know your stove and your wood you get pretty confident with a two or three step turn down process. I recommend an Auber AT200 temp alarm with a flue probe. Takes all the guesswork out of when to turn down.