Avalon insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hvsk

Jan 2, 2017
california
Avalon fireplace inset wood stove came with house. Damper lever is up/down on bottom right side of stove. Which direction opens the damper?

Welcome. Most Avalons have the air control in the front, bottom center. The air control is pushed in for more air to the fire and pulled out to reduce air. Can you post a picture of your insert so that the model can be identified? A second picture of the control location might also help.

So this is an old Avalon before Travis industries pitched them. I assume that because I've never seen one that wasn't front and center on the bottom of the unit.

Might be a 996 which was 1980's model under Travis.

Is this air control location in question? Click image to enlarge.
Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.29.02 PM.png

My dad has an older Avalon. Moving the lever up opens the air, down closes it. He bought it used around 1992ish.