Avalon Perfect Fit Plus- fireplace modifications

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmorrow

Sep 8, 2011
Western Pa
I am looking at adding an additional wood insert, this one on my first floor. The house is a 50s ranch with a very small custom brick fireplace. Out of the small inserts on the market, my wife likes the Avalon Perfect Fit Plus. Link The problem is on the corner of my firebox the firebrick makes the spacing too tight. The salesman said I could remove the firebrick and replace them with a specialty fireplace approved mortar/coating . Does anyone have experience with this type of material or know what it is called? Any input would be appreciated.

Sounds like it's time for a hammer drill and a grinder. Knock out a few bricks where you're concerned it will be too tight and customize the bricks so it will give you the space you need.

I am fine with the demo portion. Its the re-covering that I am unfamiliar with. The salesman was eluding to the fact you aren't aloud to modify a fireplace box that would make it unusable as a traditional fireplace again. He was saying there is some type of coating that I can put on over the red brick I expose that might be acceptable.

Sure you can. Salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. Travis Industries sent this along with my stove. P.S. use a different Travis dealer.

Attachments

• Avalon Perfect Fit Plus- fireplace modifications
    IMG_1437.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 259
I am in my second burn with my new Avalon Perfect Fit Plus. Really like it. I have to get used to the automatic blower control that my Quad doesnt have, but I am happy.

Attachments

• Avalon Perfect Fit Plus- fireplace modifications
    2011-12-01 18.27.47-1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 249
Status
Not open for further replies.