Backpuffing with a CAT ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what gets me is i have the bypass open avoiding the cat.. and the damn stove pipe i cant get it above 480f or so, before i was able to achieve this easily......... ive had that stove pipe 800+ before. with the bypass open, i wonder if that damnbypass came off the handle lever somehow and maybe not opening, im gonna have to wait for it to burn out, as i get a facefull of exhaust everytime i try to open it.

welll i opeerated the lever ad felt it moving, and laid on the floor looking thru the glass and seen it in action so i know thats not it. gonna let it go out and inspect the chimney, i couldnt see how it would plug up with creo if i cleaned it exactly 1 month ago and only bee burnign pallets since. but i cant think of nothing else, unless the ash depth is blocking some intake or something. but i think the intakes are on the top in the bk cat princess.

starting to dislike this stove, im ot fond of 200-300f chimney temps. i think thats to cold and could be causing problems. maybe ice is forming in it who knows.

greythorn3 said:
raybonz said:
greythorn3 said:
Funny to find this, as i got the back puffing tonight! cat blaze king princess, burning pallets! dang things. was stumped cause i just cleaned my chimney last month and its -6f out.. guess its the pallets. did it when i just realoaded it, i engauged the cat right away as it was 500f stovetop already from earlier pallets in the night. very interesting.

Grey read the entire thread as I shed light on the pallet thing from my exprience over 20 yrs. ago.. Cat stoves will do this in certain situations..

Good luck!

Ray

even with the cat not engauged??

Hmm sounds like some blockage somewhere or a poor draft..

Ray

boy im leaning towards blockage even tho i clean it 30 days ago. because this chimney has always drafted excellent. interior chimeny lotsa length, and then its 5F today, so i know its not to warm out, although they say theres a inversion this last week, dont know what that means really.

Status
Not open for further replies.