Bad control board or bad auger motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny that when I got my burner 6 years ago, they serviced other homes within the area. 6 years later, they don't come out this far anymore. If I really need them to come out, they said we can work something out. $120 service call plus an hourly rate plus parts if needed. That adds up pretty quick.

It looks like that my auger motor was going bad. Replaced with a new one and all is good. Seems like the new one is very loud. Hopefully running it for a bit will get rid of the sound. Any ideas what it could be? It doesn't sound like a vibration, I put some oil on the washer and the other piece that turns the washer

Greg, Loud as in grinding sounds, motor hum??

It sounds like a grinding sound. Are you suppose to tighten the motor really tight or should there be some play with it? I can see that the auger is aligned correctly. I can see the 2 knotches are in both holes The auger works like its suppose to, just very loud

If there is a loud grinding, something is definately wrong, did you get the same brand of replacement auger motor? If everything is aligned and auger isn't binding it should be virtually silent:p

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Sometimes the problem is at either end, bushings, washers, etc... long term use can cause elongation of holes and the auger will actually follow the old path and if it was hitting things and grinding before it will do so again.

It's the exact same motor. I ordered it from AES. I tried even loosening the 4 bolts a little bit also and that didn't even work. I put some oil on so when I start it back up I will see if that did anything. I'm trying to post a video of the noise it is making but am having no such luck. Any clue to what I am doing wrong with posting a video? Thanks for the help

Greg.

Hello all, sorry its taken so long to update the issues I have been having. With working long hours, a new puppy in the house, and a sick baby, there hasn't been enough hours in a day for me. I replaced the auger motor with one from AES. Plugged it in and it was loud, it worked like it was suppose to, but it was loud. I let it run for a few hrs hoping that the sound would go away on its own, but it didn't. I took the new motor off and took it apart. I put some grease/oil in some areas and reinstalled. This seemed to work very well but there is still a faint noise every time the auger cycles. You have to be right next to the burner to hear it, plus with 2 dogs and a baby, almost impossible to hear it. Thanks again everyone for the help

Greg

Sounds like you got it, good luck with the new puppy!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.