Bad new year start....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I went outside this morning to resplit some splits into kindlin size pieces. WHAM! A runaway split nails me in the ankle and lands me in the er. No break after xrays, but severely bruised with tissue damage. Now I'm on the couch watching alone in the wilderness and the eagles game. The ol' lady is splitting wood. Happy New Year all!

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Backwoods. Hope the pain is not too bad. Unfortunately wood pieces can be dangerous, a few years ago a piece flew and hit my son on the leg, thank God it was a small piece and he was far. Since then I sit the wood inside of an old car tire and that prevents the pieces from flying all over. Glad to hear the ol' lady is able to help, Feel better Bud.

Backwoods said:
I went outside this morning to resplit some splits into kindlin size pieces. WHAM! A runaway split nails me in the ankle and lands me in the er. No break after xrays, but severely bruised with tissue damage. Now I'm on the couch watching alone in the wilderness and the eagles game. The ol' lady is splitting wood. Happy New Year all!

You're watching football on TV and she's splitting wood?

Reminds me of a song by Tompall Glaser. :p

Put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
And go out to the car and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me.

Bummer, glad it's not broken.....but have to ask. You sure you didn't do it on purpose to get a break from splitting? Now only if you had a good team to watch like the Packers....lol. Take care man.

She cut enough kindlin to last a bit. She is the perfect woman for a man, but she can get testy too. Love them packers , but gotta support them eagles even tho there out.

Hope yer feelin better. but @ least root for a good Pa. team - The STEELERS................Welcome to the STEELER NATION"

A feller should be well enough ahead in his stash so as not to be at the mercy of the wife. That's going to cost you in the long run. Better start thinking about how to restore the natural balance soon. It might involve putting on an apron and getting busy in the kitchen. Life is better when your little black book has black ink.

I don't have much that needs doing for firewood right now and there's not much snow to shovel. The wife is painting our bedroom and I'm making tea for her and put supper on the table last night.

LLigetfa said:
A feller should be well enough ahead in his stash so as not to be at the mercy of the wife. That's going to cost you in the long run. Better start thinking about how to restore the natural balance soon. It might involve putting on an apron and getting busy in the kitchen. Life is better when your little black book has black ink.

I don't have much that needs doing for firewood right now and there's not much snow to shovel. The wife is painting our bedroom and I'm making tea for her and put supper on the table last night.

HAPPY WIFE...........HAPPY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year I was cutting up some little kindling from 2x4s kneeling on the ground... I don't swing very hard at all since it's dry pine and splits like butter. Well this one piece, when it split it came straight at my head... I had a tiny fraction of a second to react to it, and it ended up hitting me right below my eyebrow on my left eye towards the nose and cut it open a little. It bled some, but not much. hurt like hell though. that part of my face was pretty messed up for a while. Didn't bother my eye at all, but definitely scared me pretty good. Usually I wear glasses when I split wood because I'm so used to always wearing my safeties since I do all day at work. But that time I decided not to... big mistake. almost cost me an eye. I had enough time to get my eye closed, but I don't think that would've helped me any if that bonked me in the eye good.

P.S. You were wearing sneakers I assume?
I always wear my work boots whenever I'm outside... helps me from things like that, and rolling my ankle, stepping on something, etc... I also feel more comfortable if I see a snake that he won't be able to get my ankle :)

That sucks Backwoods....hope ya feel better soon! :)

Yes I was wearing sneakers. I was lazy because I only wanted to break down a few splits into smaller peices and I got bit. I had safety glasses, thats something I always wear. Live and learn. Dawn, the wifey, will get right out there with me, by my side with all the building, splitting, ect. She won't use the chain saw, but if I don't give her a turn with the maul, she'll let me know. As far as wood supply, this weekend depending on the ankle, I'll be working on 2013/2014. Be well.

Hurts like hell but it sounds like you'll be back in the game soon enough. I can't afford to get hurt at this point. I'm almost three years ahead but I've got four other stoves to feed...

Get better soon backwoods. Since the ol lady is splitting , I say milk that ankle for a few weeks! :)

Backwoods said:

:eek:hh:

Better than in the eye i guess? ;-)

loon

Ouch!
You'll be back at it in no time & a little smarter :)
Get well soon :)

Help me picture how the wood came at you, so I can avoid that sort of thing. When I split, I definitely get the occasional number that flies left or right, but never forwards (away from me) or backwards (which is presumably how it bit your leg). Maybe it's just unusually rare that the wood comes out like this, and I just haven't seen it yet?

Sorry to hear about the hurt Backwoods. One more of life's lessons.

DH got himself above the eye on Christmas day, must be going around. I didn't take over splitting though...I mentioned it and he said he'd do it later. I'm rather klutzy though, lol, so he probably was afraid I'd manage to do worse to myself. I'll help scrounge, load, wheelbarrow to the stack, stack, bring in...but no splitting or sawing.

Adabiviak said:
Help me picture how the wood came at you, so I can avoid that sort of thing. When I split, I definitely get the occasional number that flies left or right, but never forwards (away from me) or backwards (which is presumably how it bit your leg). Maybe it's just unusually rare that the wood comes out like this, and I just haven't seen it yet?

Glad it wasn't broken Backwoods. Hope you heal up soon! You got a good woman!

Adabiviak, I used to think this too. My splits always 99.9% go left and right. But theres always a .1% of one that jumps back at ya. In 4 years, I'd never been hit. I had one this year get me right below the knee cap and dropped me to the ground. I thought I'd broke my leg. I had split it once and it didn't go thru. I turned it 180 degrees and blasted it again and made a 4 way split and that's when it happend. Who knows - sometimes splits just jump up and get ya. I was thinking how, a tire ring might have prevented it.

Its getting better. Amazing how bruised and a bit swollen it still is. I got an atv parts store down a bit, and he has a pile of used tires, so I'll probably grab one and screw it fast to a lg round.

Backwoods said:
Its getting better. Amazing how bruised and a bit swollen it still is. I got an atv parts store down a bit, and he has a pile of used tires, so I'll probably grab one and screw it fast to a lg round.

I cut the side walls out, inverted it, made stars for the bottom to screw to the stump.
I'd make the stars bigger if I made another one, to let the dirt & bark fall out the bottom.

Attachments

• sp tire5.jpg
    sp tire5.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 130
Thx dave! that pix will help. I hope to re kindle my relationship with the maul this weekend .

Status
Not open for further replies.