Bag #1; Ton #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
January 8th & I just cut open the second ton. This has been some kinda
NON-WINTER in the Northeast. Believe me, I'm NOT complaining. Previous
Years I would have been cutting into ton #3 at this juncture.... Outside temps
are around 30, the lake is frozen, but only a skim coating of ice... Rode the Ultra
yesterday & there have been bikes riding around the lake all afternoon...
Global warming? Thank you. I'll take it.

I been using MORE pellets this year despite the warm weather... my 92 year old mother-in-law has moved downstairs with us... the upside is now i have my own office and bachelor pad upstairs.

Now if I could just sneak the girls up those outside stairs without waking the wife.....

I've had mine turned down because it was 65 degrees here yesterday. It's in the 50's today but starting to cool down now.

I gotta turn it up. My mother-in-law lives with us too... I used to keep our heat at 68 and she was always cold. Now, she is spoiled. Unless I have it 78-80 downstairs, she still says it's cold.

Too funny, I'm from the other side and I just threw in my last split from Cord pile #1 this morning. Looks like we'll both have a surplus at the end of the burn season!

very mild here also
have actually had the stove off
the last couple days and
holding 68 in the house

ironpony said:
very mild here also
the last couple days and
holding 68 in the house

Harman Invincible
Dodge CUMMINS
CLUB “SUPER HOGâ€
22 tons somersets - set for 5 years
I am a BIG PIG now!!!!

I did not know that pellets lasted for 5 years i thought they had a 2 or 3 year shelf life ?

John97 said:
I've had mine turned down because it was 65 degrees here yesterday. It's in the 50's today but starting to cool down now.

I gotta turn it up. My mother-in-law lives with us too... I used to keep our heat at 68 and she was always cold. Now, she is spoiled. Unless I have it 78-80 downstairs, she still says it's cold.

My wife has Family in Kentucky. She told me when they were younger, they used to heat their old farm house with an old pot belly stove burning coal or wood. The wife said they were always cold in the morning when they woke up, so they'd stack as much wood in that old stove as she could take at night hoping the wood would last until they got up the next morning. Needless to say, that never worked! Now they have gotten older, my guess is they have over compensated for being cold years ago? When we go into one of their homes during the winter while visiting. More likely than not they are burning wood in their stove. It's so dang hot in their homes you can hardly breathe!

I guess the old saying does make sense? When you're old, you're COLD! :lol:

Not holding my breath, but my wife has not been complaining of late when the temp goes to 70F.. Usually I get non stop comments about how cold she is. She has been dressing in layers and sits with a blanket over her. I sit around in t shirt and b shorts. I want to hang onto our oil for the hot water. If I could get a pellet stove in the prefab, then I could get it to be much warmer upstairs. Should have plenty of pellets to last the rest of the burning season.

glenc0322 said:
ironpony said:
very mild here also
the last couple days and
holding 68 in the house

Harman Invincible
Dodge CUMMINS
CLUB “SUPER HOGâ€
I am a BIG PIG now!!!!

I did not know that pellets lasted for 5 years i thought they had a 2 or 3 year shelf life ?

Kept dry they will last as long as any wood product... they are very similar to pressboard building materials...

krooser said:
glenc0322 said:
ironpony said:
very mild here also
the last couple days and
holding 68 in the house

Harman Invincible
Dodge CUMMINS
CLUB “SUPER HOGâ€
I am a BIG PIG now!!!!

Kept dry they will last as long as any wood product... they are very similar to pressboard building materials...

this is from a web site and obviously just her opinion
With proper storage conditions, bags of wood pellets can be stored for approximately one year. Samantha Eldredge, sales and distribution manager for Corinth Wood Pellets, LLC, explains that pellets may be burnable even after a year and a half of storage, under proper conditions.

Environmental Effects
Moisture causes wood pellets to immediately swell and break down into sawdust, thus becoming unusable. UV rays should also be considered when storing wood pellets. Eldredge advises keeping a cover over the pellets to protect from ultraviolet rays that can cause the bags to break down.

Bottom Line
Sealed, dry bags of wood pellets can typically be stored for up to one year without affecting the pellets' ability to burn. Keep bags out of damp areas to ensure maximum shelf life.

Read more: How Long Can You Keep Bags of Wood Pellets? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/decision_6938925_long-keep-bags-wood-pellets_.html#ixzz1ixMObmSv

i was thinking 2 0r 3 but who knows

Turned my stove off yesterday at 11 am. It was 72.5 in the house, and 39 outside but very sunny. Figured I could have it off for an hour or two. Nope. Temp kept rising due to the heat from the sun, and the stove stayed off till 6 pm last night. Did I mention that I did some work outside yesterday in short sleeves? Must have been some sort of solar flare.

I have pellets from three seasons ago and they burn as good as the day I got them.

glenc0322 said:
ironpony said:
very mild here also
the last couple days and
holding 68 in the house

Harman Invincible
Dodge CUMMINS
CLUB “SUPER HOGâ€
I am a BIG PIG now!!!!

they are inside a climate controlled warehouse
should last a long time

glenc0322 said:
krooser said:
glenc0322 said:
ironpony said:
very mild here also
the last couple days and
holding 68 in the house

Harman Invincible
Dodge CUMMINS
CLUB “SUPER HOGâ€
I am a BIG PIG now!!!!

this is from a web site and obviously just her opinion
With proper storage conditions, bags of wood pellets can be stored for approximately one year. Samantha Eldredge, sales and distribution manager for Corinth Wood Pellets, LLC, explains that pellets may be burnable even after a year and a half of storage, under proper conditions.

Environmental Effects
Moisture causes wood pellets to immediately swell and break down into sawdust, thus becoming unusable. UV rays should also be considered when storing wood pellets. Eldredge advises keeping a cover over the pellets to protect from ultraviolet rays that can cause the bags to break down.

Bottom Line
Sealed, dry bags of wood pellets can typically be stored for up to one year without affecting the pellets' ability to burn. Keep bags out of damp areas to ensure maximum shelf life.

Read more: How Long Can You Keep Bags of Wood Pellets? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/decision_6938925_long-keep-bags-wood-pellets_.html#ixzz1ixMObmSv

i was thinking 2 0r 3 but who knows

Tell ya what just to show that us pigs really care about you not having to burn pellets that are past their use by dates we will take them off your hands.

Our past use by date warehouse is operated by Eric we make certain that those pellets eventually are properly disposed of.

All pellets older than 1 year, should be shipped to my house for proper disposal.

If your close to me send me a PM, I'll even come to your house to pick up them expired pellets. :cheese:

I love free! ;-)

j-takeman and slls,

How many times do we have to make this offer?

Seems this is a regular occurance, newbies get suckered by the marketing folks at the pellet makers who have one and only one job move the product so anything they can say to make folks get new to replace old is what again?

Marketing hype, sort of like a Toyotathoon. you know that sale that's going to end in x days, if you pay attention it is a rolling ploy.

The way this winters shaping up, There's gonna be a lot of expired pellets out there. Better get my "I'll come get em and properly dispose of them" in right now! ;-)

To keep the thread on track, I haven't burned 44 bags yet, Got board on xmas break and did my 1 ton clean way early! Haven't had many 1 bag days and even less 2 baggers(1 to date). I really don't think I'll even see the 3 ton mark this season. Probably just shot myself in the foot right there! :gulp:

you can always send me some of your 2 and 3 year old pellets so i can try them out since i am new i am not sure they will work so all you pigs out there with that big stash you carry can help out the newbies and send a few of your old bags for us to try

glenc0322 said:
you can always send me some of your 2 and 3 year old pellets so i can try them out since i am new i am not sure they will work so all you pigs out there with that big stash you carry can help out the newbies and send a few of your old bags for us to try

Nope none of our bags of pellets has a use by date on them, you'll have to sucker someone other than this pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.