Barely keeping up with the demand.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When its below 10 with a wind i need to keep the supply temps to my baseboard above 165 otherwise the house temp starts slowly falling. My storge cannot do this for the twelve hours during the day monday and tuesday that i will be at work. Will be letting the oil boiler flex a bit. It barely keeps up itself. Pumping full time my storage only gets me about five hours after the fire goes out before its below that magic 165*. Then its a great deal of effort to recharge while bringing house back to temp. I want to add some staple up under frst floor.

My situation exactly. My low limit on the other hand is about zero at night (maybe little less) and about -10 to -15 during the day (with solar gain). Depends on wind as well of course. Based upon your comment above Coal Reaper, this might be one instance where a unit without storage offers a bit more flexibility in terms of being able to keep above a 'low limit' on a longer term basis??? Or maybe not. To tired to analyze it at the moment. Based upon my unit dead band and cranking the setpoint up to 195, I can generally always keep supply temps above 180 even with max heating load during cycling. Oil boiler was same way. I think whoever installed baseboard capacity made design basis around zero. I would have made it around -20.

My situation exactly. My low limit on the other hand is about zero at night (maybe little less) and about -10 to -15 during the day (with solar gain). Depends on wind as well of course. Based upon your comment above Coal Reaper, this might be one instance where a unit without storage offers a bit more flexibility in terms of being able to keep above a 'low limit' on a longer term basis??? Or maybe not. To tired to analyze it at the moment. Based upon my unit dead band and cranking the setpoint up to 195, I can generally always keep supply temps above 180 even with max heating load during cycling. Oil boiler was same way. I think whoever installed baseboard capacity made design basis around zero. I would have made it around -20.

In addition, I think my real heat loss culprit is my formal living area that is simply a two feet crawlspace (dirt floor) directly under the beams and wide board floors. Do you guys think insulating under these floors with vapor barrier would make huge difference. Would like to add radiant under there but theres no way I could work under there with all the snakes and mice per say and I'm a bit claustrophobic!!

In addition, I think my real heat loss culprit is my formal living area that is simply a two feet crawlspace (dirt floor) directly under the beams and wide board floors. Do you guys think insulating under these floors with vapor barrier would make huge difference. Would like to add radiant under there but theres no way I could work under there with all the snakes and mice per say and I'm a bit claustrophobic!!
You could always add the radiant on top. They make an aspenite board with groves in for the tubing. finished flooring goes right over that.

You should at least have a layer of polyethylene on that dirt floor and in my opinion it would be advantageous to have a vapor barrier over the insulation.

You could always add the radiant on top. They make an aspenite board with groves in for the tubing. finished flooring goes right over that.

I already have a finished floor on top (i.e. finished hardwood flooring). Would not want to put the aspenite board over the already finished floor then put finished flooring over that. Is that what you meant?

You should at least have a layer of polyethylene on that dirt floor and in my opinion it would be advantageous to have a vapor barrier over the insulation.

Fred, gotta head out for my daughters basketball game but would like to pick your brain a bit more on that polyethylene over dirt floor. Thanks for feedback.

Would like to add radiant under there but theres no way I could work under there with all the snakes and mice per say and I'm a bit claustrophobic!
Got for it, you've got an excellent opportunity to suck it up and conquer your fears. Tyvex suit, dust mask, if necessary. Enlist some child labor to ferry in tools and supplies on a plastic sled with a rope on each end. It could all go down as proud chapter in your family history.

Reactions: Coal Reaper
I already have a finished floor on top (i.e. finished hardwood flooring). Would not want to put the aspenite board over the already finished floor then put finished flooring over that. Is that what you meant?
OK i didnt know you already had a finished floor on it. YOu would have to do it from underneath in one of 2 ways. Staple to the underside of the floor with heat dispersion plates(preferred method) Or suspension just under the floor. Either not too easy with 4 Ft of work space.

Kinda agree. I think its more about firebox capacity. Mine is only 3.7 cubic feet. Thats the one thing i would change about my boiler. A bigger box with same nozzle and fan would extend my burn times without increasing output. When it is so cold i get nine hours after i load up, four hour burn plus five on storage.

You could always hire someone less claustrophobic and critter-phobic to do the job.

Or, you (or someone you hire) could punch some holes, run some beams, hold the room up, and dig out for a new foundation - my brother made a major improvement to the livability of the house I grew up in by converting a nasty crawlspace section into decent, well-insulated basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.