Bark I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Love for the weather man! lol

bark looks like pine or even hemlock but the upper branches don't look right for those. Look more like a deciduous tree.

Hmmmm......I'm thinking American elm. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:

I'm going to get some leaf pictures this summer of some trees with bark like this that I'm not sure of, I was thinking elm also.

Zap

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

I'm going to get some leaf pictures this summer of some trees with bark like this that I'm not sure of, I was thinking elm also.

Zap

You didn't say that is had leaves - that changes everything. :lol:

This one didn't have any leaves but just the structure of the dead tree (in the pictures) seems like something other than pine.

Zap[/quote]

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

Zap

Zap - for a quick check, take a pocket knife and cut a small cross section of the bark. If you get alternating bands of light and dark throughout the cross section, you have American elm. I thought I saw some evidence of this on the photo, but wasn't sure. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.