Been burnin something different....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
Got some Envi bricks for free from the local stove store.....Not endorsing them...just stating what I have witnessed....They burn well in my stove....been mixing with wood....not sayin I like them better than good seasoned wood but if you are out of wood and have some cash and jonesin to burn....they burn well...no smell (like I have read here that other bricks like this do)....and the burn time is very long....just an FYI...never burned any of the other bricks of this sort before....so can't compare...

And I was thinking this was going to be a medicinal marijuana thread.

Wood burning used to be simple. I had a big metal box built in the 70's that connected to a brick chimney and life was good.

Since then, because of the influences of this site I wound up:

1. Rebuilding my thimble
2. Replacing my stove
3. Having way more wood on hand than a reasonable man w/ my size yard should have
4. Lining / insulating my chimney
5. Building Fires Top / Down
6. Buying enough different thermometers to measure a dozen stoves simultaneously
7. Building a holz hausen (in progress)
8. Now, after all that, when I have access to essentially free wood, I will be shopping around or making a 30 mile trip just to try these things because all the cool cats are doing it.

I'm looking forward to the trial. Thanks Gamma ;-P

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that there are no pics! I'm a junkie, feed my need!

pen

Ain't it the truth Pen. For 30 years I thought I was happy. And everything was paid for. This site has cost me a fortune and made a lot of work buying and installing stuff and getting ahead on wood.

BrotherBart said:
Ain't it the truth Pen. For 30 years I thought I was happy. And everything was paid for. This site has cost me a fortune and made a lot of work buying and installing stuff and getting ahead on wood.
+ 1, Couldn't have said it any better :lol:

+3 - stoves that is, since I started here. This place is crack.

I tried eco-bricks for a few days in my cat stove.
They will gas off nicely for 5 or 6 hours..or longer depending on air setting.
Here's the prob I had.
To get a decent burn after gassing off and more so during the coaling stage the "bricks" need more air then my bi-metal thermostat seems to want to give it.
If I turn it up the air manually there is not a problem getting great heat out of them..but I don't want to get up in the middle of the night.
Cost is more then the 210 I pay for cord of wood...still all in all they do work good.
I might buy more and mix them in or burn them on weekends if I can get them for 3.99/package...sale price ..I heard if you get a skid of them(1 ton) they will sell them for that price also.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/heating/fireplace-accessories/eco-bricks-reg-pack-of-8-1001261

BeGreen said:

I was essentially raised by you folks on Hearth.com, when it comes to woodburning. I don't know any other way...

+4 and soon ill be in counseling if i dont quit thinking about this stuff

good thing spring is around the corner

BeGreen said:

what a bunch of burnin junkies.....yes we are and I am proud of it boyz and girlz :lol:

BeGreen said:
+3 - stoves that is, since I started here.
I just got the Keystone, and I'm already thinking "If I could get a nice used tube stove cheap..." :lol:

SmokeyCity said:
+4 and soon ill be in counseling if i dont quit thinking about this stuff
good thing spring is around the corner

BeGreen said:

Stop thinking about it?! I've burned wood longer than a few guys here on hearth.com but I still think about it a lot. Maybe it just gets into your blood. Don't know. Yet there are some who claim to not like it....but are still burning wood anyway.

I tried them too, had to, curiosity got the better of me, but I like the heathwise logs better, lot longer burn time.

It helps when your in the business. You get to try a lot of stoves in your house for next to nothing. Also get to play with them in the showroom.

Update on the Envi bricks.....for my stove size the smaller ones work better the size is 3 1/4" X 2 3/4 " X 9 1/2"....6 in a pack for 3 bucks.....the bigger ones are 3 to a pack to about twice the size for the same price a pack.....when I load with the small ones...3 n/s (space in between because they do blow up to about 1/4 of their size)....and one on top e/w....burn is better...I have been alternating 2 bricks n/s with a real log in between n/s....and 1 or 2 real logs e/w on top......very nice burn....The big ones in my stove seem to need more air for some reason.....don't burn as well...The heat is consistant...owner's wife of stove shop says she likes to use them when cookin on the stove because of the consistancy of the burn....I did notice a smell but only when I open the door....not a bad smell....more of a strong sawdust smell....Just an fyi for you burnerz....fyi's are always a good thing

do heathwise logs burn longer than a hard wood log of equal size ?

weatherguy said:
I tried them too, had to, curiosity got the better of me, but I like the heathwise logs better, lot longer burn time.

SmokeyCity said:
do heathwise logs burn longer than a hard wood log of equal size ?

weatherguy said:

In my experience they do, I used to mix a couple in with regular splits on the frigid nights because the stove would stay hotter longer. Are they worth it over cordword? Im not sure, but like the envi blocks they're good to have when you have little seasoned firewood. Thats why I bought them last year, I didnt have a lot of dry wood so I stretched what I had by mixing those in.

GAMMA RAY said:
Update on the Envi bricks.....for my stove size the smaller ones work better the size is 3 1/4" X 2 3/4 " X 9 1/2"....6 in a pack for 3 bucks.....the bigger ones are 3 to a pack to about twice the size for the same price a pack.....when I load with the small ones...3 n/s (space in between because they do blow up to about 1/4 of their size)....and one on top e/w....burn is better...I have been alternating 2 bricks n/s with a real log in between n/s....and 1 or 2 real logs e/w on top......very nice burn....The big ones in my stove seem to need more air for some reason.....don't burn as well...The heat is consistant...owner's wife of stove shop says she likes to use them when cookin on the stove because of the consistancy of the burn....I did notice a smell but only when I open the door....not a bad smell....more of a strong sawdust smell....Just an fyi for you burnerz....fyi's are always a good thing

Loading a whole pack at a time, do you think you get the same heat output / burn time as you would have with loading the stove w/ a full load of wood?

pen

Backwoods Savage said:
Don't know. Yet there are some who claim to not like it....but are still burning wood anyway.

If you mean tired of it, guilty. :)

I am not sure...I was experimenting with just the bricks and put in 3 small ones in n/s on bottom....and 2 e/w....heat was good...maybe not as much as good seasoned hardwood though....but the thing is...the heat is very consistant...once she starts cruisin...she cruises (at least 500 stove top) consistantly for maybe a few hours....was not right there to document the temps but each time I peaked in she was still the same temp....now my husband put in 2 small ones n/s with a real log in between and a big mother split on top e/w this am and it lasted 8 hours....but the temps are warmer now so it is hard to judge....but they do increase the burn time considerably...when I came home after about 5-6 hours after load I moved them around a bit..did not break them down though....and they still kept burnin.....

BrotherBart said:
Holy chit! "Administrator"!!!!!! Yeah I said it! Now do your job!

Well hell, the site self regulates itself, (poop - Administrator edit :lol:) ;-)

Come on Hog....Administrator is HOT.......I think it suits him well.... ;-P Very secksyyyyy.....wow gettin hot in here....back to the envi bricks....they are puttin off good heat in 60 degree temps outside :lol:

Well, I'll say he is pretty quick and on the ball.
And I only consider women hot, so can't relate there.

Status
Not open for further replies.