Beetle ID.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonTee

Minister of Fire
Dec 1, 2021
Upstate NY
I found this little guy on my shirt as I was walking around in the house. It’s 27 degrees outside, so it must either be living in the house or have come in with the firewood.

I thought it was an ash borer, but I’m leaning more towards a tiger beetle. What do you guys think? It’s about 5/8” long.

Right now I have mostly ash firewood in the house, with a few pieces of cherry and beech.

56EB1144-30E5-4A39-A486-57F5326819C6.png

It looks like an emerald ash borer, but the emerald ash borer is green.

I call them black beetles.

This beetle would kind of change color depending on how the light hit him. He had a blueish/greenish color in the right light. I did Google pics of the EAB, and they’re definitely greener.

Basically just trying to figure out if these things are eating my house, or did this one just come in with the firewood. I do have a few day supply of firewood in the house at a time.

I found this little guy on my shirt as I was walking around in the house. It’s 27 degrees outside, so it must either be living in the house or have come in with the firewood.

I thought it was an ash borer, but I’m leaning more towards a tiger beetle. What do you guys think? It’s about 5/8” long.

Right now I have mostly ash firewood in the house, with a few pieces of cherry and beech.

View attachment 307636
I asked my son about this and showed him the pic (he's an entomologist). He said it is some sort of wood borer, not EAB. No worries about it/them being in the house as they need live trees to do their thing.

Reactions: DonTee
Good deal. Thanks @thisoldgoat

The wood in my house is pretty dry at this point. I think it did have some bug problems when it was first built though. We used green lumber.