Beginner needs help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds like bad board.But,things to consider--checking your voltage momentary means nothing,if there is an intermittent low voltage problem.Also.a surge protector will not protect anything in a low voltage situation.That is why i was recommending a UPS,with data recording.

Reactions: Ssyko
Is the agitator motor 120 volt? I am assuming that you have 2 wires going to the motor. Test for voltage from one of the wires to the metal frame on the stove. Then test the other wire for voltage to the metal frame on the stove. You should have 0 volts on one wire and 120 volts on the other wire if the motor is 120 volt. If this is the case, it sounds like the neutral wire going to the motor is bad somewhere.

Also check for 120 volts to the ignitor. Maybe you have a bad neutral connection somewhere inside the stove.

Yes, the agitator is 120 volt. There are 2 wires going to the motor, a common and a power. If I test across the two, I get the 55 volts. The igniter was getting no power at all. I tested directly from the board and there was nothing during startup.
Sysko has offered to check the board out for me so I will be taking him up on the offer. If it is not repairable, I will need to look for a replacement.

Sounds like bad board.But,things to consider--checking your voltage momentary means nothing,if there is an intermittent low voltage problem.Also.a surge protector will not protect anything in a low voltage situation.That is why i was recommending a UPS,with data recording.

Thanks for the reply Bob. I do not have access to a UPS with data logger and have never used one. I attempted to research one and unless I am looking them up wrong they are more expensive than replacing the board.

It gets more and more mysterious.
Is this 55v just for the agitator ? Is the agitator in circuit or is this measurement without a load ?
What are the two readings : common mains to common agitator and common live to live agitator ? As one would expect/hope and no surprises ?
Does the agitator have a duty cycle ?
Is the agitator switch a relay or a thyristor ?
Will the stove work without the agitator ? Just to see if everything else is ok .