Believe it or not, it's the second time this has happened to me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I cut right through the center of an old bullet.....with a new chain. Doesn't seem to have hurt the chain any though. Didn't even notice it until I went to split it. I have done this same thing once before, years ago.
IMG_0582%20(1024x768).jpg

weird eh quads!!

just bought a new chain couple weeks ago and not even thinking of going near the fence rows ;-P plus they are almost $40 over here now :shut:

loon

If you count the rings you could tell when that entered the tree, thats if you cared :lol:

I cut through 4 nail on one milling run they where so old I didnt even know I hit them....

I did the same thing on a white oak just this Fall. The lead is soft enough I don't think it would really hurt a chain much anyway.

I cut a huge Maple in my yard 2 years ago to make room for an addition. Ran a metal detector over it knowing that at some point
a bird feeder or two may of been hanging from it. Marked all the metal locations with yellow spray paint. When I was done I stepped back and decided I could of just painted the whole first six feet. Burned a couple chains in her. There was a little bit of everything in her.

Me and dad found a lead bb in a piece of red oak when I was a kid. Never had it happen since.

Huh! talk about a shot in a million.

must not have been a big enough gun, it didnt even put that tree down!

kidding of corse.

savageactor7 said:
Huh! talk about a shot in a million.
Yes, and I've done it twice!

I cut into a big nail/spike once, about 1/4 inch thick, and that ruined the chain. I've also cut through fence wire several times, but I've always been able to save the chain after that, with a lot of filing, unless the chain was almost used up already anyway.

The good Stihl 18" RS chain price here is just over $20, but I try to wait until they have the sale on it where you buy one and get a second one for half price.

Now you need to also whack it in half with the faux fiskars.

Is this anything like biting the bullet?

Status
Not open for further replies.