Best Cart To Move Cut Wood Around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a wheelbarrow for many years and I can get enough on it to reach my weight limit. It is very efficient. A neighbor gave me a 4 wheel garden cart and I hate hauling anything heavy because it is so much more inefficient work than the 'barrow. I have an old one that had a rusted out bucket, and plan one day to build a flat, open sided platform with a front that will solve the problem of the sloping sides of a stock wheelbarrow bucket. This project is about #86 on my list of similar projects.

Reactions: Ashful
We use plastic totes atm, all of our stacks are close to the house. I own a wheelborrow but have not been bothered to move it 20 feet for use.

Ae rented a Kuboto 25 for a week and it was really cool tossing rounds in the front loader and dropping them off near the splitter.

Our plan is an ATV with a bed built in, those look handy. Or one with a plow and trailer.

Right now I'm using a single wheel barrow for moving (Thanks to babaganoosh for that tip... Will save me a few 125ft trips).

Plan is to get an old tractor running that I can load the bucket full and drive it up to the window of the house and unload it straight in. We'll see though. I was told by my father in law before he passed away that the steering was welded backwards and you have to steer left to go right and vice versa. . I'm not complaining though since it will save hours of time moving wood and shoveling snow.

rubbermaid yard cart. effortless to haul big loads. great stability. won't dent (might crack if cold enough and hit with a flying object...)
pACE3-2861943enh-z7.jpg

overall, the double wheel barrow works easiest for me. I also have a single wheel barrow, but it tips over easily. I've knocked it over quite a few times throwing in pieces of wood. Like Dix said, you can use the double single handed too if you want. I've also found I can pull very heavy loads in the double much more easily than pushing them - think horse at the front of a small cart, only my arms are the straps attaching the cart poles. Works real well going up or down hill and easy for me to stop - set the handles down. I can also pull it up over my 8+ inch curbing easily when pretty well loaded. And, I guess sort of like the saying about stoves- you can always put a smaller load if you want, but it's hard to put a bigger load in than the wheel barrow (or stove) will hold.

The pull carts have never worked well for me. Not as maneuverable and I find them hard to pull. I tend to want to load them heavy/full. I have a 1500lb cart to pull behind my Deere garden tractor (x530) that works well when I need medium to large sized loads. Otherwise, it's the 5x10 trailer with sides.

They keep telling me the 10cf double wheelbarrow is for women...6a9d6338d914da53c1f11fd26391722f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ashful
I have the gorilla 1200 but would like to build something custom. Was thinking the whiz bang cart.

eBZpMI08HTaLdH-0UZ6GJ9gf9lc_vNOEQnvAeojoYpR36ohTwiKoWGfWbxAT1oivE5dVxrZ-XDk5TjqrOL5=w901-h675-no.jpg
Big Red works well moving the loads to the garage and shed for the winter.

Reactions: Jazzberry
IMG_2205.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a couple of these. The orginal was called the Gardenway Cart, and they're now made by Carts Vermont. Really rugged, holds as much wood as you'd want to drag. Can be pushed or pulled, and the large wheels work well over rough terrain with very low rolling resistance.
gardenwaycart.png
Of course, for big loads we use this (with a trailer made from the rear half of a pickup truck):
04_pa040007.jpg

I use this to move wood around by hand. I mainly use it to get wood outside to bring inside. It's the same cart the OP posted a photo of, I just added sides to it in order to increase capacity.

I use the Polar 1500TA behind my ATV to gather wood from out in the woods.

DSC00092.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_7523.JPG

Northern tools polar 22 cu ft trailer with extra sides. Pulled by my garden tractor.

I use this to move wood around by hand. I mainly use it to get wood outside to bring inside. It's the same cart the OP posted a photo of, I just added sides to it in order to increase capacity.

I use the Polar 1500TA behind my ATV to gather wood from out in the woods.

View attachment 187183

I like that.

I only have to move the wood from the front porch (tractor bucket to there) in the door, up the hall down three stairs and I am at the pile beside the fireplace (about 1/2 face cord) so I adapted a two wheeled appliance cart. Once it is tilted back so the weight is over the axle it is handy as H. Large tires let it roll over the throw rugs. Works fine for a 71 yr old that uses 3 bush cord/yr...

I only have to move the wood from the front porch (tractor bucket to there) in the door, up the hall down three stairs and I am at the pile beside the fireplace (about 1/2 face cord) so I adapted a two wheeled appliance cart. Once it is tilted back so the weight is over the axle it is handy as H. Large tires let it roll over the throw rugs. Works fine for a 71 yr old that uses 3 bush cord/yr...
Young 66 yo here
What's a bush cord?

Reactions: macattack_ga
Young 66 yo here
What's a bush cord?

We should admonish those who use terms like "face cord", and "bush cord", especially when selling wood. Not to pick solely on him, but as an example, Pat says "1/2 face cord". This could be anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 of a cord, with typical split lengths varying 12 to 24 inches.

A face cord is a measure of area, not volume, being 4' x 8' x anything you like. A cord is a unit of volume, so why not just say "1/6 cord"?

We're on the same page, Ashful.
With many terms and sizes, ie. Face cord, full cord, bush cord, ricks, blah blah I have one measurement
to follow. Got this from Wiki and it's nice n' simple. 4X4X8' or 128 cubic American feet.

That's the only unit of sizing I'll use on this site or in conversation. Those in other countries or using a metric
variant should stay true to local area measurements too. We can each convert to understand what a member
is conveying. Consistency is key for good communication in this case. Maybe a metric cord is 1m cubed?
Just made that up but as long as we're clear about our systems, the calculator can do the rest.

Reactions: Ashful and Lone_Gun
I use the 1,000 lb steel wagon from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/mesh-deck-steel-wagon-62576.html
I bought it for my son as he has to get the wood from the stacks and fill the wood ring on the back porch, which is enough wood for one days burning. At this point it has survived four winters hauling many cords of wood.
I also use it to haul rounds out to the trailer when I'm on a scrounge where I can't drive on the lawn, and to haul rounds from the big pile over to the splitter.
I never expected the wagon to last so long, or take the abuse it does. The only weak part I've found is the tubes in the tires. I replaced them with tubles wheels a few years ago.
My kids also use it to give rides.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Status
Not open for further replies.