Best Cart To Move Cut Wood Around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I rigged my wife to the front end with a snatch-'em strap looped around her with the hooks on the axle, to haul out rounds.

You know the rules....pics or it didn't happen.;lol

I know this discussion is based on human power transportation, but I can't even begin to tell you how much wood this home brew wagon has hauled into my wood storage building (old wash house 10 feet out my door).
woodwagon2sm.jpg

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
I use my truck bed to get wood from the tree to the stacks, then I use a 4 wheel cart (one of the 1200 lb steel jobbers) to get the wood from the stack to the front porch. Porch to fireplace is canvas tote.

Never much of a wheel barrow fan. I suppose I just grew up using a wagon or cart, so that's what I keep using.

You know the rules....pics or it didn't happen.;lol
Well, I'll run the pics idea by her but I really don't think it's gonna be happnin'. ;lol
I know this discussion is based on human power transportation, but I can't even begin to tell you how much wood this home brew wagon has hauled into my wood storage building (old wash house 10 feet out my door).
Quad and trailer has been a game-changer here. With the slopes in our woods I can't begin to say how much wood I'd never have gotten if it was just us and the wheelbarrow pecking at the edges of the woods! :oops:

Reactions: Jags
Well, I'll run the pics idea by her but I really don't think it's gonna be happnin'. ;lol
Quad and trailer has been a game-changer here. With the slopes in our woods I can't begin to say how much wood I'd never have gotten if it was just us and the wheelbarrow pecking at the edges of the woods! :oops:
I agree the wheelbarrow days were the pits,with 10 acres of woods the Suzuki 400 and cart opened up a whole new realm of possibilities. Working in wood is hard enough,without adding to it.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Hauling longer distances: tractor with a trailer

Moving short distances: single wheel wheelbarrow (the low center of gravity types used to move cement are more stable)

Moving into the house: Ikea tote bags. ;)

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fkk.org%2Fwp-content%2Farchiveimages%2Farchives%2Fikea_tote.jpg

Reactions: webfish
I prefer traditional single wheel wheelbarrows, much more maneuverable than those double wheel things. Aren't those double wheel barrows made for girls who can't balance a normal wheelbarrow? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeap, made for girls too.
201540_1964682804588_2179085_o.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
We move a cart load at a time to a wood storage box on the porch. The cart loaded will fill the box and be good for 3-5 days of burning. The big bicycle wheels work well on rough yard terrain. This is not our cart, but similar, with a little less capacity.

mainImage4sm.png

I guess I'm wondering if the people that are using wheelbarrows are using wheelbarrows only because it's what they've always used. Hmmm...

More like they've always used it because it is the best tool for hauling over terrain. In any endeavor, watch what the pros use, then learn to use their tools. In the days of schlepping concrete by wheelbarrow, how many guys did you see with two and four wheeled carts?

I got a open box WORX Aerocart from the Depot and have been using that. They sell a firewood hauler attachment, but for $40 I found that bungee cords work just as well.
I didn't expect much out of the worx since it is not the strongest, but I must admit it makes moving wood around quite easy.

More like they've always used it because it is the best tool for hauling over terrain. In any endeavor, watch what the pros use, then learn to use their tools. In the days of schlepping concrete by wheelbarrow, how many guys did you see with two and four wheeled carts?
They are moving a different substance, usually in granular or powder form. A wheelbarrow holds much less wood than a big cart and most have just one wheel which makes them tippity when fully loaded. Not an issue with a large cart with bicycle wheels. They're stabile, even on rough terrain and go over divets, holes and molehills easily. We have both and without a doubt the cart is better for moving large loads of wood. The wheelbarrow is a big tub that moves dirt, fertilizer, cement, compost, etc. well, stuff that can conform to the belly of the beast. The cart is a big box. Another advantage of a cart is that it can be pushed or pulled. That makes a big difference going uphill. If the load is heavy one person can push while the other pulls.

Last edited:
Reactions: bad news and Ashful
I have both single & dually wheel barrows. AND am the recent recipient of one of these, too

imagebywidth.ms?w=500&minh=300&maxh=600&img=master:CP047.jpg

Going to be the first season using it, but I've already got a plan for it :)

I had a gorilla cart, it was terrible (read "sucked" !) in snow, and lasted about 2 years.

The single wheel I bought To move firewood around when my old dually suffered a debilitating injury to it's tub (slow death at 0F wound from a semi frozen split :p ), and I was waiting for it's replacement to arrive. It's OK for short spurts, but I'm not a fan.

My go to is the dually which is this (I have "no flats")...
g?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy3oJnq0NR_7qAztSHNrS-SBoOoKzvf0ruOH9gREbCwzKXMGLhm1W_jjsm2yx5D_0kO13fNX0&usqp=CAY.jpg

For me, it's good in snow (to a point ), takes a beating, and, for me, is easily to move around.

I can move them with one hand, you can't do that with a single. Even partially loaded, I can move it. * DO NOT TRY THIS WHILST WALKING THE DOG :mad: *

I have both single & dually wheel barrows. AND am the recent recipient of one of these, too

184328-02aade2774be6481c269cf5987252d37.jpg

Going to be the first season using it, but I've already got a plan for it :)

I have had two of them for four years. They are the nuts for moving wood.

I have been very happy with my Gorilla cart. I haul 3 cords of wood from my stacks, up to the house, each fall and find that the Gorilla cart is a time saver. I do use a wheelbarrow to move wood around my stacks. I've beat the crap out of my Gorilla cart for the last three years and it's still going strong.

dollysm.jpg
My home built version of similar nature to the one Dix and BroB are talking about. Its the gnats knees for moving wood between the woodshed and the attached garage.

The very best cart of course is the one some else is pushing/ pulling:) My two wheel cart of the u shape uses apx 20" bicycle tires as such it will move through snow up to a point. at which time a sled with sides is the best bet.

A standard wheelbarrow brings in a days supply conveniently for me. Slighty longer distance from my woodshed.

I had a cart from the hardware store that held more wood but was harder to maneuver, It also fell apart because it was held together with the tiniest spot welds I've ever seen

TIP - invest in a solid tire/wheel for the wheel barrow, expensive ( $25) but will last. Once the standard wheel goes flat by itself the bead is broken and it cant be fixed

Put a tube in that pneumatic tire.

Huh, I've been toying with the idea of a movable wood rack. The wheels would need to be solid, the lawn tractor could help pull it.

There are better ways than manual labor to move firewood, you know. I use choker, loader, and wagon.

93ad6729cd118e2d7abecb6f6734c2ba.jpg

578afca26bda05641c726c56e87feeb1.jpg

969c817ed37abd01ce1710a583056f78.jpg

Also have a two wheeled, Wheelbarrow Power drive 8cf tub poly type but when its cold better not be tossing splits in it as they will bust it out

Reactions: Dix
I started with a single wheel wheelbarrow and it works ok. I can move a decent amount of wood with it. I think if you have uneven terrain or If you have to stop to open a fence a double wheel will be better. I load my wheelbarrow up very high and it has tipped over.

I found a 18 horsepower garden tractor with plow and dump cart for 500 on Craigslist and the wheelbarrow now sits unused.

101_1982.JPG
Saw this sticking up out of a dumpster at our Speedway.
(Piece broken off at top facing the camera)
It worked fine last winter but I added lawnmower wheels to the shortened rear stilts
a few weeks ago for this season on a healing shoulder repair.
First trip fills the tote, second stays on the porch.
Two non heaping loads for a full days supply of Vitamin "W".

CheapMark

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom123
To get wood from the driveway to the house involves bringing it downhill along a dirt trail. While it's easy to move since gravity is in my favor here, I'm basically braking the whole way, which I find much easier with the four-wheel cart. If I had level property, I'd use a wheelbarrow in a minute. My cart is some cheesy mesh thing I got from the hardware store. It sounds like it's going to fall apart when I drag it around, but it's surprisingly durable (had it for a few years now, and it stands up to having firewood thrown into it from a distance).

I use a cart like begreen to move from the yard to a deckbox at the base of my deck.About 75 ft across the yard. 2 to 3 carts full fill the deck box and gives the wifey about a weeks worth.Got about 5 yrs on the current one and is starting to look a little beat up .Not to bad

Status
Not open for further replies.