Best seat in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flusher17

Jun 3, 2010
ADKs, Northern NY
My Lab fell in an icy creek behind our house. Once we got back inside, she chose this spot and hasn't moved for about a half an hour. One more advantage to having a woodstove. Just thought this was cute and wanted to share. IMG_4129.JPG

If I fell in an icy creek, that would be my spot of choice as well. Smart dog.

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
Nice setup there. Nice dog too.

you make the mantel shelf yourself?

Yes, I did make the mantel myself. It is a simple box made out of 5/4 rough cut pine, which I beat up a little with a chain to make look more rustic. I made the box to fit tight over a 2x4 cleat that is bolted to the log wall. It just slips on tightly and put a couple screws into the cleat through the top of the boxed mantle.

I made it in the summer and planned on only having it on in the off season, as it is a couple of inches too close to the stove for combustible material. I ordered a fire rated faux mantel, but it looked too fake and plastic. I have been watching the wood mantel like a hawk, but it never really even gets warm. So, I am no longer worried about it.

Reactions: ScotO
Very nice install. I have an insert but sure do like the looks of a freestanding unit on a hearth.

AAhhhh......
Makes me want to join her.==c

Sharp looking install.

Yes, I did make the mantel myself. It is a simple box made out of 5/4 rough cut pine, which I beat up a little with a chain to make look more rustic. I made the box to fit tight over a 2x4 cleat that is bolted to the log wall. It just slips on tightly and put a couple screws into the cleat through the top of the boxed mantle.

I made it in the summer and planned on only having it on in the off season, as it is a couple of inches too close to the stove for combustible material. I ordered a fire rated faux mantel, but it looked too fake and plastic. I have been watching the wood mantel like a hawk, but it never really even gets warm. So, I am no longer worried about it.

thanks. Been looking into making my own from reclaimed lumber but dam if it isn't pricey.

Great looking install!

very, very nice! Love the mixture of stone and wood.
As for the pooch, he shows a whole new meaning to the term 'lucky dog'.......

Reactions: loon
Nice looking install! The picture is a little hard to make out behind the stove but what the black surface behind the stove?

Thanks for the nice comments everybody. It was pretty hard work, but fun at the same time. Behind the stove is a box that I built out of steel studs and older generation 5/8 inch Durock. I then skimmed coated it with the same brown tinted mortar that I used on the stone surround. The box is where a prefab, junky, ZC fireplace used to be when we first bought the house.IMG_2628.JPGIMG_2778.JPG

Very nice - I love the dog near the stove pics!! Unfortunately the only person that does not like my stove is my dog. He is a mix but likely has husky and possibly coyote in the mix. He goes out his personal doggy door and lays in the snow when the fire gets going. See my avitar - he is a big softy but has a bit of a ferel look at times and reminds me more of a wild dog than a house pet with his actions.

Very nice looking stove/hearth set up.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody. It was pretty hard work, but fun at the same time. Behind the stove is a box that I built out of steel studs and older generation 5/8 inch Durock. I then skimmed coated it with the same brown tinted mortar that I used on the stone surround. The box is where a prefab, junky, ZC fireplace used to be when we first bought the house.View attachment 89792View attachment 89793
OH WOW, What a difference. Great job! That tears it, I'm coming up there to jump in the creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.