Best stove for bio bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I like my pellet stove, but I take you guys' points. To me, a pellet stove is like a car with automatic transmission and power steering, whereas a wood stove is a standard transmission and unassisted steering. Both have their points, both have their disadvantages.

I like the convenience of pellet stoves, but I'd really like a heat source for when the power goes out. The fireplace in this house is useless as a heat source. On the other hand, I could sit and stare at the pellet fire for hours, whereas the flame in the oil furnace is just not that interesting! :cool:

The Wiseway may be a good option in your area with plentiful pellet supply. They are working on a TEG version that could power a small fan to aid convection. It can be a bit tricky to get running well and consistently and some folks are reporting some quality control issues that affect performance. Word is that it should be run on premium quality pellets. The industrial look is just that. It's the antithesis of the nice looking little Morso.

I think I will need to test this, I still have the US stove 2500 sitting in the garage, I just need to buy some single wall pipe to make a temp chimney and we'll have to do a driveway test. :)
It will need 15' of stove pipe for proper draft and even then it won't be the same as a house install due to the lack of temperature differential. Be sure to have the pipe braced.

The Wiseway may be a good option in your area with plentiful pellet supply. They are working on a TEG version that could power a small fan to aid convection. It can be a bit tricky to get running well and consistently and some folks are reporting some quality control issues that affect performance. Word is that it should be run on premium quality pellets. The industrial look is just that. It's the antithesis of the nice looking little Morso.

You and Highbeam are right, pellets just don't seem worth it. No matter how I look at pellet stoves they never seem to be a good buy for us. I think once we get through this winter, we will be ok. I knew this first winter would be really difficult, but I wasn't anticipating my immune system crashing the rest of my body right as we entered the coldest part of winter. The wife is at the hardware store now getting some good store bought kindling and bio bricks for the next few weeks. Mini splits will be happening as soon as I can cash in some of my investments and assets. We had hoped to save that money for a future date, but this is the kind of situation I saved it for.

Thank you and the other wood burning veterans for the encouragement and advice. This has really helped calm my nerves while my wife is at home dealing with our house that needs work while I'm stuck here unable to help. I've never been so helpless in my life. My only priority until next winter will be dealing with the house and getting a good stock of firewood. I was finally making some headway and built another wood rack before my health failed. I started a new blood treatment today and I'm already feeling better, so fingers crossed that I will be able to go home soon.

Seriously, thank you all so much.

Best of luck with the treatment. Hope it gets you back on your feet soon and thanks for your time in service. The days will start to get warmer in a month or two and hopefully you can put this behind you. Having backup heat is a good idea. There is active discussion on mini-splits in the Green Room here with some good recommendations if you need them. For Maine's climate, get the best out there.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I like my pellet stove, but I take you guys' points. To me, a pellet stove is like a car with automatic transmission and power steering, whereas a wood stove is a standard transmission and unassisted steering. Both have their points, both have their disadvantages.

I like the convenience of pellet stoves, but I'd really like a heat source for when the power goes out. The fireplace in this house is useless as a heat source. On the other hand, I could sit and stare at the pellet fire for hours, whereas the flame in the oil furnace is just not that interesting! :cool:

Can you expand on this convenience? A good woodstove can provide full time heat with 12-30 hour reload cycles depending on your heat load. Mine does 24 hour cycles with softwood. I hear that you need to load a pellet stove just as often.

Is there some other convenience? I stopped using kindling and just light with a small plumbing torch so it’s super easy to start s new fire.

I was considering a pellet stove for the shop to replace a noncat stove. I just can’t see an upside other than thermostatic on/off control.

The main thing with me is the yearly stacking, drying, moving thing over and over again. I am kind of sick of it. If my house was better built than it is and well insulated I would seriously consider switching to an all electric heat setup with solar panels. That would be the ultimate. Yes begreen I have tried burning with bio bricks like the directions say. The problem I have is the air intake on a Olympic is right in front of the firebox floor. If you put wood or bricks in front of this area the wood blocks the air from coming in. A really lousy design flaw on the stove in my opinion. When you try and stack the smaller size bio bricks on a bed of coals you cannot pack them together tightly. I am going to try and see how a mix of bio bricks and say 2 splits work. If that combo works well maybe I can start doing that and that will cut down on the stacking and drying considerably.

Last edited:
Can you expand on this convenience? A good woodstove can provide full time heat with 12-30 hour reload cycles depending on your heat load. Mine does 24 hour cycles with softwood. I hear that you need to load a pellet stove just as often.

Is there some other convenience? I stopped using kindling and just light with a small plumbing torch so it’s super easy to start s new fire.

I was considering a pellet stove for the shop to replace a noncat stove. I just can’t see an upside other than thermostatic on/off control.
Granted, I need to put pellets into my stove every 20 to 24 hours, running it constantly at its lowest setting. It would probably use more pellets on a higher heat setting, might use less if I installed a thermostat. Filling the hopper isn't all that much of a chore, however, and some pellet stoves have a larger hopper than mine has.

But is there some other convenience? Well, for starters, no splinters, no unwieldy chainsaw, no need to split wood, no need to wait 3 years for it to dry, no need for bulky storage space.

In my case, chopping and splitting are no longer in the cards for me--the result of an accident a couple of years ago--and the local cord-wood suppliers here don't seem to be willing to stack for you. And let's not even talk about how much they charge just to pile it in the driveway! Moving a couple of cords a few splits at a time is time-consuming in the best of circumstances, and my damaged shoulder can take only so much before it needs a rest. On the other hand, the pellet deliveryman will stack for me, and I can still lift a 40-lb. pellet bag fairly easily, so getting bags of pellets inside is more manageable than stacking the woodpile and then getting splits inside the house. Not only that, but three tons of pellets take up a lot less space than the cordage I would need for a wood stove. I only need to bring pellets in from the garage about once a week or so.

Pellet stove fire-starting is automatic nowadays, though probably no more convenient than using a torch on your splits, lol! But a pellet stove requires almost no tending, once you get the settings figured out for your heating requirements and the brand of pellets you're using. I just press the ON button, and I'm set. There's almost no ash to deal with, especially compared to a log fire, although ash quantity varies by brand of pellet and type of wood they used. So far, we've been doing just fine without a thermostat, but I'm toying with the idea of putting one in.

Now, by saying all that I don't mean to minimize the pleasures of wood burning. In your situation, you may not find a pellet stove to be any handier than a wood stove. I can certainly understand someone preferring a wood stove over a pellet stove. They simply offer different pleasures and conveniences. And of course the convenience of pellet stoves has its tradeoffs in terms of repair costs, amount of stuff that can go wrong, etc. I'll likely get a wood stove for the living room (the fireplace is pretty, but not a good source of heat), just so we'll have a heat source when the power goes out.

The main thing with me is the yearly stacking, drying, moving thing over and over again. I am kind of sick of it.

It's either for you or not. Sounds like you've made up your mind.

Granted, I need to put pellets into my stove every 20 to 24 hours, running it constantly at its lowest setting. It would probably use more pellets on a higher heat setting, might use less if I installed a thermostat. Filling the hopper isn't all that much of a chore, however, and some pellet stoves have a larger hopper than mine has.

But is there some other convenience? Well, for starters, no splinters, no unwieldy chainsaw, no need to split wood, no need to wait 3 years for it to dry, no need for bulky storage space.

In my case, chopping and splitting are no longer in the cards for me--the result of an accident a couple of years ago--and the local cord-wood suppliers here don't seem to be willing to stack for you. And let's not even talk about how much they charge just to pile it in the driveway! Moving a couple of cords a few splits at a time is time-consuming in the best of circumstances, and my damaged shoulder can take only so much before it needs a rest. On the other hand, the pellet deliveryman will stack for me, and I can still lift a 40-lb. pellet bag fairly easily, so getting bags of pellets inside is more manageable than stacking the woodpile and then getting splits inside the house. Not only that, but three tons of pellets take up a lot less space than the cordage I would need for a wood stove. I only need to bring pellets in from the garage about once a week or so.

Pellet stove fire-starting is automatic nowadays, though probably no more convenient than using a torch on your splits, lol! But a pellet stove requires almost no tending, once you get the settings figured out for your heating requirements and the brand of pellets you're using. I just press the ON button, and I'm set. There's almost no ash to deal with, especially compared to a log fire, although ash quantity varies by brand of pellet and type of wood they used. So far, we've been doing just fine without a thermostat, but I'm toying with the idea of putting one in.

Now, by saying all that I don't mean to minimize the pleasures of wood burning. In your situation, you may not find a pellet stove to be any handier than a wood stove. I can certainly understand someone preferring a wood stove over a pellet stove. They simply offer different pleasures and conveniences. And of course the convenience of pellet stoves has its tradeoffs in terms of repair costs, amount of stuff that can go wrong, etc. I'll likely get a wood stove for the living room (the fireplace is pretty, but not a good source of heat), just so we'll have a heat source when the power goes out.

Thank you! It sounds like pellets are more convenient than wood, more so than pellet stoves being more convenient than woodstoves. Space savings is one I hadn’t thought of.

Our pellet stove was on a digital thermostat. It was definitely nice to come downstairs to a warmed up house, and nice that it let the house cool down to the nighttime set temp for good sleeping. Normal loading was once a day in shoulder season and twice a day during very cold weather. Storage of the pellets took a lot less area than storing wood. 2 pallet loads took us through the winter. At the time a pallet was about $185+tx. So $370 in pellets. It would take 2.5-3 cords of wood to do the same, so @$200 a cord (wishful thinking now) it was much cheaper than wood. However, in 5 yrs I went through about 3 snap switches and a control board due to a summer power surge. The snap switches were cheap, about $7-8 each but a pita.The control board was about $130. It wouldn't have burned out if they had better surge protection on board. Fortunately I was able to diagnose issues and do the repairs myself. They would have cost a lot more to have a technician do it, together with extended times without the pellet heat.

Reactions: Highbeam
The Ashford is definitely convective in design. It even has a convective lid instead of an exposed stove top.

A pellet stove is just a small wood furnace with controlled feed and combustion rates. They are an order more complex than a wood stove. And many are a lot noisier. The complexity brings multiple opportunities for failure and unfortunately many of the components used are not as robust as one would find in the average home furnace. I liked our pellet stove for the convenience, but not for the noise and complexity.

Well stated. The pellet does add the ombience and beauty of flame. We find we are using our small pellet stove more than ever. It is convenient and effective with our house layout. It compliments our small wood stove nicely. Our particular pellet stove is supposed to be the quietest on the market. I wouldn’t want anything noisier. They are more complex, but we’re getting used to that aspect. It helps supplement the wood stove since “free” wood is becoming less accessible. I think I will burn bio blocks before I pay for cord wood. Bottom line is we like the flexibility of both wood and pellet, and oil which we never use but to exercise the burner. Happy burning and stay warm. Pretty chilly today here in the land of taxes, fees and tolls on the way

It will need 15' of stove pipe for proper draft and even then it won't be the same as a house install due to the lack of temperature differential. Be sure to have the pipe braced.

I guess he will just need to take it one step further and build a small A-frame, insulated in the backyard.

We will need step by step progress photos Kenny :)

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well stated. The pellet does add the ombience and beauty of flame. We find we are using our small pellet stove more than ever. It is convenient and effective with our house layout. It compliments our small wood stove nicely. Our particular pellet stove is supposed to be the quietest on the market. I wouldn’t want anything noisier. They are more complex, but we’re getting used to that aspect. It helps supplement the wood stove since “free” wood is becoming less accessible. I think I will burn bio blocks before I pay for cord wood. Bottom line is we like the flexibility of both wood and pellet, and oil which we never use but to exercise the burner. Happy burning and stay warm. Pretty chilly today here in the land of taxes, fees and tolls on the way
Another benefit of BioBricks and high-density, pressed logs is that they burn much cleaner than cord wood. That's especially nice if one live in an urban area.

We had both the small Jotul 602 and pellet stove installed back 20 yrs ago. It worked pretty well, but our stove was fairly noisy. The flame was a furnace, nothing as beautiful as our wood stove's fireview. What pellet stove are you running? Do you have the stove plugged into a quality surge suppressor or UPS?

Another benefit of BioBricks and high-density, pressed logs is that they burn much cleaner than cord wood. That's especially nice if one live in an urban area.

Interesting point. Do you think they burn cleaner because the manufactured fuel is drier? Or is there some other reason?

I tried the manufactured logs in an effort to burn with less smoke and actually found them smokier than good firewood.

I suspect it is a combination of factors. Cleaner product (no bark), drier content and they burn hotter than most cord wood.

I recall your test and found it interesting. It was as if too many logs were used at one time and it overwhelmed the cat. That's just a guess though. It might be worth testing again with just a few logs to see if that is the difference.

Reactions: Highbeam
I was using the round Niels and not loading tightly. Probably did overload the cat.

Internal probe flue temps.