Best Way to stack 1000 gal propane tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm just not seeing any reason to go with bigger holes than your boiler ins & outs, especially with tanks that big. Mine stratify fine, being the same size holes. Maybe someone else can shed some light.
Thanks
No engineer here so any insight is greatly appreciated

I'm not an engineer but my gut feeling is that size wouldn't matter when pumping but for stratification larger would be better.

Also should consider orientation of tank bungs/fittings. Ideally they should inject horizontally, or as close to that as possible - if concerned about velocity upsetting stratification. I did have to get some welded on mine, I angled them on the rounded tank end so they are horizontal. If that is done I don't really see how stratification can get messed up. Another thing with my setup is I deplete storage before charging, & my system flows are quite low. So when my tank dT is largest - charging from depleted - the flows in & out of the tanks are also the smallest as quite a bit of the boiler flow is recirculating around the bypass to maintain 140 boiler return. First lap charging, my tank dT is most often in the 40-60 range - 160 at top from boiler, 100-120 at bottom out to loading unit. I usually don't run a full second lap - so it's a short one with the full boiler flow at that point. So say for a 5-6 hour burn, it's maybe 4-5 hours for a slow tank flow first lap (while also recovering the house from small setbacks) and not much more than an hour for full flow lap 2. Which gets my house totally warmed up (usually with a bit of excess - another form of storage), and 180/160 storage tanks.