Big score of holly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Have a friend who is clearing a few acres. Giant holly trees (bushes, I know). I got about a half cord today. Pretty much have access to all I want. I’ve gotten small holly stuff in the past but havnt burned it yet. I’m wondering if anyone knows how long for it to dry. And is it something good to burn in bulk? Like a full stove load? It seems pretty heavy.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Holly is an excellent hardwood. It burns well and hot after a couple of years of seasoning. It's one of the whitest woods out there and used in fine woodworking for contrast with darker hardwoods.

I have been getting Holly over the last few years at the local compost site, very white inside like begreen said, outside greenish color with a lot of "lumps" not a smooth bark by any means, and it burns nice. Whenever I see it up there I wonder if it all from the same person trimming the same tree, don't get tons of it but when it is there I take it.