Bixby Maxfire 155

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hillbiehle

Nov 22, 2017
West Central Minnesota
Hello - I just purchased a home with a Bixby Maxfire 155 and new to its operation and having difficulty turning it on. The previous owner left the manual and I've followed the instructions. However the stove does not light, but rather light #7 turns on after the fuel is dumped in the burn pot. According to the manual, light #7 states "fire pot mechaniclal malfuntion...turn the off button and then on again to restart. If malfucntion continues, clear jam in burn pot". As a result, i took a shop vac and removed all pellets in the burn pot and started over with the same results.

There is some ash in the waste drawer so it appears that this was used by previous owner and indicated on the sellers disclosure that the stove works properly.

Does anyone have advice on what I am doing wrong or should be doing? Thank you in advance.

Hello - I just purchased a home with a Bixby Maxfire 155 and new to its operation and having difficulty turning it on. The previous owner left the manual and I've followed the instructions. However the stove does not light, but rather light #7 turns on after the fuel is dumped in the burn pot. According to the manual, light #7 states "fire pot mechaniclal malfuntion...turn the off button and then on again to restart. If malfucntion continues, clear jam in burn pot". As a result, i took a shop vac and removed all pellets in the burn pot and started over with the same results.

There is some ash in the waste drawer so it appears that this was used by previous owner and indicated on the sellers disclosure that the stove works properly.

Does anyone have advice on what I am doing wrong or should be doing? Thank you in advance.

i think they want you to hit start again without cleaning the first try pellets out. probably just to verify it will fire. sometime if you run out of pellets it takes a couple tries to get pellets delivered to the pot in the start up cycle. They have a real nice owners manual.. good troubleshooting section

62-f54277a13a.jpg

Hi. As a Bixby 115 owner, been there done that. First, unplug the stove, then plug back in after a minute or so to reset the board. Next push the on button. The dump mechanism should cycle three times. If there is a jam/plate off the pin, or switch out of position, then the stove won't complete the three cycles and will give you the error light. When this happened to me, one time the upper paddle had jumped off the pin, the second time the switch on the burn pot dump motor had shifted, and was no longer stopping the paddle in the correct position. To check the paddle positions, you need to remove the two plates which form the floor around the burn pot. Remove one screw from the fuel deflector, then lift out the plate it is still attached to. Next remove the second plate. There are two spring clips which hold the burn pot in place. Remove the clips, remove the burn pot and you will have a good view of the upper paddle. Check its position on the pin to the rear of the burn area. It might have lifted off. If all appears normal, then you'll need to check the lower paddle. Remove the left (as you view the stove) side panel to expose the mechanism from the side. If a paddle is jammed, you can push in a horizontal metal bar (the brake) on the motor which drives the paddle, and move the arm which controls the position of the paddles. If the switch is the issue, look at the top of the burn drive motor to locate the switch. It has a flat metal "spring" which is pressed in when the drive arm is in position. If the switch slips, then the spring no longer contacts the drive arm. Loosen the screws and slide the switch back into position.

Hope this gives you a starting place; I've been happy w/ the Bixby, burning corn and pellets.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Thank you Ohbix and everyone! I followed your instructions and we now have a warm fire. Unsure what I did, but following your instructions certainly helped and I now have a better understanding of the mechanics after dissesemling. Thank you all. Go Bucks!

Reactions: Mt Bob