BK AF25 Summer Stove Care

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BronxMatt

Dec 5, 2021
Bronx, NY
Hi all,

I have a BK Ashford 25 Insert (and love it!)

This question should apply to lots of folks though.

Any suggestions for summer care? Should I leave the bypass open or closed? Crack the door?

Thanks!
Matt

I close down the valve on the OAK for the summer to keep critters from going up there.
The OAK should have a 1/4" mesh screen on the intake to prevent this.

I close the thermostat to just beyond the clang where you hear the flapper close on a cold stove so there is minimal tension on the bimetal coil and the air inlet is as closed as it can be.

I either have the bypass open or closed but not cammed over. Less pressure on the gasket for the months.

And I plug my air inlet ( I have no oak).

Finally, as my stove is in the basement and aesthetics don't matter much, I take the telescoping section out, cap the stove pipe and the thimble, creating a closed box of my stove and put a container of damprid in. The door remains closed.

I don't know the mechanism of the sliding bypass. But if there is a final "bump" when you close the bypass (which would be a sealing pressure mechanism), then I'd stop before going over that bump.

If not,. I'd leave the bypass open.

1/4" mesh will keep out mammals, but not insects. I've had occasional problems with hornets building nests in surprising places.
Yes, mud wasps will do that too. Some regular window screen on the outlet during the summer will keep the buggers out. But remove it in the winter.

The AF25 does not have a fresh air connection. Clean out the ashes. Lower flame shield and clean off any fly ash. Using a can of compressed air, gently blow out any fly ash in combustor cells. Reinstall flame shield. Leave bypass open. Clean chimney and cap. Although not part of stove maintenance, start getting wood ready for 2024-2025 season.

BKVP

The AF25 does not have a fresh air connection. Clean out the ashes. Lower flame shield and clean off any fly ash. Using a can of compressed air, gently blow out any fly ash in combustor cells. Reinstall flame shield. Leave bypass open. Clean chimney and cap. Although not part of stove maintenance, start getting wood ready for 2024-2025 season.

BKVP
This is immensely helpful. Thank you!

I have an air tank. Could I set the psi low and use a nozzle to lightly spray out the combustor cells?

Also, any guidance on how where to leave the air intake lever? Fully open? Fully closed? Half way open?

Thanks again!
Matt

This is immensely helpful. Thank you!

I have an air tank. Could I set the psi low and use a nozzle to lightly spray out the combustor cells?

Also, any guidance on how where to leave the air intake lever? Fully open? Fully closed? Half way open?

Thanks again!
Matt
Use less than 20 psi. Leave air control open. Good idea to let it ventilate.