BK princess parts question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vwmike

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2013
Chilliwack, BC, Can.
Hey guys,

Just picked up a used princess to replace my PE Summit I burned last season. It’s a pe1006 model built mar of 2001. Just replacing all the gaskets and catalyst before I install it.
My stove doesn’t have the SS bypass retainer plates like the latest manual shows, should it?
Also one of my glass retainers is rotted out, does anyone know of these are able to be purchased? They don’t list out separate on the parts diagram. Stove is in good shape and appears to not been used a lot, it just got
left in an unheated basement with some ash in it which held moisture against it.
Thanks
809B1784-3B6E-4CA9-869C-97B7485C6B14.jpeg

Hey guys,

Just picked up a used princess to replace my PE Summit I burned last season. It’s a pe1006 model built mar of 2001. Just replacing all the gaskets and catalyst before I install it.
My stove doesn’t have the SS bypass retainer plates like the latest manual shows, should it?
Also one of my glass retainers is rotted out, does anyone know of these are able to be purchased? They don’t list out separate on the parts diagram. Stove is in good shape and appears to not been used a lot, it just got
left in an unheated basement with some ash in it which held moisture against it.
Thanks
View attachment 250577

I've had that part out in my hand, found a rock under it which was preventing the retainer from squeezing the glass gasket. Surely it is possible to get a spare from BK. How about the rest of them? May as well get all four and verify that the studs are in good shape.

Just read your post about changing your glass gasket. I see the newer retainers are one piece and mitered in the corners , Mine are 2 pieces. Thought it was Sunday today :confused: Will make some calls and see what I can find out tommorow.

@BKVP Saw this in another post for help with a blaze king
Thank you for the alerting! The door glass retainers can be purchased via any Blaze King dealer. I would replace the glass gasket and door gasket as well. Yes, you need the Princess bypass plate retainers. If there is any build up on the bypass ramp, the mechanism could result in the plate becoming dislodged.

Please ask the dealer to order all these items for you......thanks VWMike!

Forget the stove parts, how’bout some photos of that shag wagon?

• Haha
Reactions: Woody Stover
Forget the stove parts, how’bout some photos of that shag wagon?

lol thanks, have been into vws forever. Just got this one this summer from long time family friends. The parents bought it new in 75, it’s got 70,000 org miles on it. They are the ones sitting inside and are 92 and 93.

Attachments

• 66A9A158-6AE4-4F71-80E9-EB9A6E455A9E.jpeg
    66A9A158-6AE4-4F71-80E9-EB9A6E455A9E.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 164
Cool van, cooler history. Nice 4-generation photo!

Thank you for the alerting! The door glass retainers can be purchased via any Blaze King dealer. I would replace the glass gasket and door gasket as well. Yes, you need the Princess bypass plate retainers. If there is any build up on the bypass ramp, the mechanism could result in the plate becoming dislodged.

Please ask the dealer to order all these items for you......thanks VWMike!

Thanks so much Chris! I drove to my favourite hearth shop about an hr away, they are the biggest blaze king dealer around here. They got me all fixed up and everything is on order. Can’t wait to get her back together.

Thanks so much Chris! I drove to my favourite hearth shop about an hr away, they are the biggest blaze king dealer around here. They got me all fixed up and everything is on order. Can’t wait to get her back together.
Good job..

Good job..
Ok this didn’t go so well. Stopped in to see what was going on and nothing. He has not ordered my parts yet because he doesn’t have a part number for them. says he has called bk but not response yet( I suspect this is bs) any chance you have a part # @BKVP ?
Thanks so much

lol thanks, have been into vws forever. Just got this one this summer from long time family friends. The parents bought it new in 75, it’s got 70,000 org miles on it. They are the ones sitting inside and are 92 and 93.
Had a '79 in pumpkin orange, most fun I've ever had in a vehicle.

Well got all my parts finally! But the saga continues, there’s some sort of mismatch as the new 1 piece glass retainers aren’t big enough to reach the glass like the old 2 pieces ones !!! @BKVP
47C45D5F-A713-4FE4-B7B5-4CCD8244B0B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Can it be drilled out to catch?

Ok so I figured this out myself. After a bunch of googling I found a note on the Hechlers site. Turns out my early princess uses a smaller glass at 15 1/4x9 1/4. At some point they changed to a 15 13/16x9 7/8, I’m thinking this happened when they changed to the one piece retainers because once I measured that was the size I needed. I phoned a bunch of glass shops and found one an hr away that cut me a new piece of ceramic glass and it’s all together and fit perfect. Just some paint now and time to get it on the hearth!

Attachments

• 6595BFD8-45D4-4057-87A2-0AA00D8B0851.jpeg
    6595BFD8-45D4-4057-87A2-0AA00D8B0851.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: kennyp2339
Ok so I figured this out myself. After a bunch of googling I found a note on the Hechlers site. Turns out my early princess uses a smaller glass at 15 1/4x9 1/4. At some point they changed to a 15 13/16x9 7/8, I’m thinking this happened when they changed to the one piece retainers because once I measured that was the size I needed. I phoned a bunch of glass shops and found one an hr away that cut me a new piece of ceramic glass and it’s all together and fit perfect. Just some paint now and time to get it on the hearth!
I like the bus!

Nice looking new gasket.

Reactions: vwmike
Should be a good day, got the stove back together, some new stove pipe. Just waiting on some help to move it...