BL characteristics?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
In the slush-storm we're currently 'enjoying', I've brought in the big guns to keep us toasty. That black locust is like plutonium.

Anyway, the BL is sparking, a LOT. Why is this? My other woods don't do this except once in a blue moon.

Also, the BL leaves behind GIGANTIC coals, like the size of grapefruits. And they don't like to burn down quickly. Again, what about BL does this?

In the slush-storm we're currently 'enjoying', I've brought in the big guns to keep us toasty. That black locust is like plutonium.

Anyway, the BL is sparking, a LOT. Why is this? My other woods don't do this except once in a blue moon.

Also, the BL leaves behind GIGANTIC coals, like the size of grapefruits. And they don't like to burn down quickly. Again, what about BL does this?

My first year was almost exclusively BL. It was seasoned about 18 mo if I remember so wasn't perfect and I had coaling. Stuff is dense and heavy though even when it is fully seasoned. I almost always have some BL on hand and no matter how dry it always seems to like its air. Had 2 splits in this am with oak and ash. Had to give a little more air to get the results I wanted compared to if I'm burning ash/oak alone. If it's a problem maybe if you give just a smidge more air during the burn you won't have too much when you want to reload. That is if it doing so doesn't cause it to go thermonuclear on you!

Dogz - the stuff burns more like coal than wood. I find I like a mix - not just pure BL or Hedge (I actually get more hedge than BL, but they act about the same).

I think the technical term is 'spalling,' but a firefighter will be along to correct me shortly.
Actually, I was asking- if I put a piece of hickory in the stove with <20% moisture, it'll just burn. But BL with identical MC will spark dramatically. Any ideas why?

Moisture at the cellular level being surrounded by a very dense and strong wood. Tiny little steam explosions when air hits it.

And that comes straight from my butt. Only a hypothesis.

Moisture at the cellular level being surrounded by a very dense and strong wood. Tiny little steam explosions when air hits it.

Along the same line of thinking as me so either great minds think alike or we are both full of baloney.

Reactions: Jags
I think the technical term is Rice Krispie wood.

Don't be shy. I have built a career a similar way.

Reactions: Jags
Minerals in the soil?
chemical variations...salts? Resins.
All wood would spark if it was water alone.
Resins/oils is my guess also, combined with density. Hedge and Mulberry have similar density and "oilyness". Burning mulberry now and raking the coals up is fun as heck!.... Almost as fun as WAGuessing

Reactions: red oak
Status
Not open for further replies.