black pipe, crimped end down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
In reading the manual for a ESW nc13 it reads that the interior singlewall pipe shoud be installed with the crimped end down?
That goes against everything I ever done installing any kind of pipe. That would make the smoke flow against the the natural flow of the seems. Plus a non crimped end will not fit in the transition box in the ceiling where it goes from my singlewall to triplewall.

Can anyone explain why and how this is better and do I just crimp the end at the ceiling myself to get a tight fit?

I don't have the stove yet but if I buy it tomorrow I would love to get it done and burning before 3:00.

I may just buy double wall from Home depot while i'm there. Can I use any double wall since it goes into a transition box or does it need to be the same brand?

Thats correct. The smoke will follow the draft out but any water or creosote that may fall down will go into stove and not onto floor or top of stove.

If you get double-wall, it really should match the brand of the support box. Regardless of single or double-wall pipe there is usually a transition adapter for the ceiling box that needs to be by the same mfg..

Thanks guys. I will do what's right. I have the tools and clearences for single wall. It just sounded odd to me is all. Fingers crossed that I come home with it.

Yep. Female end up, male crimped end down. Like the poster above said, you want anything oozing down to stay in the pipe.

The next thing you want to do is burn good dry wood hot enough so that all of this isn't an issue in the first place. Hearth.com rule, oozing is a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.