Black stuff on chimney pipe & roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.. that would be great.. So I gues then I officlly have it hot enough then??? If so then I was way under. Also should it stay that hot when I fill it full of woodor will it cool down when i set the dampers to go to bed or work? Also what thermometer do you reccomend for the double wall pipe. Sorry to throw so much at you again. You have been a grreat help :)

the pipe should always be warm remember cold pipe means condensation. condensation means creosote. when you throttle it down when you leave remember to keep it from smoldering smoke is unburnt wasted fuel and the seed of creosote you need flames until the wood tranforms in to charcoal or coals. now keep in mind that when you start the fire and you have good flames and throttle it down that the pipe might be hot maintaing real good draft now when that pipe cools the draft will slow down and now the setting that was good when you left is no longer good and the flames die out. so what I would do is when you throttle it down for the evening come back and check on it every 15 - 20 mins to see that it is still burning good if it is starting to go out then open it up a little do this for a few days until you get a good idea of where your set it and forget it setting is. For example with good dry wood on my quad I set it about 3/4 throttled down and its almost always good. the stove in the front of my house I can't keep a fire going if I throttle it down half way. its going to take some finageling cause different woods burn different different weather makes for different burns different air preassures make for different burns there's a lot of variables. keep at it and don't get frustrated being totally independent from the gas man is a good feeling and not hard to do when you get the hang of it. As far as the thermometer I would just go to the place where you bought the stove or look online for a magnetic bimetal thermometer and stick it directly to the pipe. you can move it all arround to see the diffent temps at different places on your stove. here is just a random example the first one that came up on google.

http://www.enerzone-intl.com/accessories.aspx?CategoId=21

ya i found several. I looked around last night on here and foud that people were saying the magnetic ones for doule wall will not work. I read that you need one that has a prob to measure the temps inside the pipe? I hate to drill a hole in my pipe but if thats the best then I will. Do you know what the outside temp would be to indicate the inside temp. My local harbor freight has a laser one for $30.00.

Example outside is 400 degrees but the inside is actually 700 degrees.

I have no Idea I try not to get to technical myself. I'm sure there is someone arround here that could crucnch those numbers for ya.

thanks for all the help.. my stove is running much more hotter and it seems to be burning better.

Status
Not open for further replies.