Blase King Ashford 3.0 enamel brown what should it cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenora

Nov 20, 2007
Kenora, Ontario, Canada
I just called my local dealer, he quoted me...saying very unapologetically... NO spring clearouts, NO Home Show pricing, NO demos, NO senior discount No DISCOUNTS EVER...price is $3850 for the stove (nothing else)... am I being shagged?

edit...

can I get owners to chime in with what they paid please so I can have a frame of reference?

The dealer sets the policy for their company. If they are a full service shop with high overhead then they may only sell retail. Call around if there are multiple dealers in the area.

Reactions: kenora
Some dealers don't ever give discounts, often times they simply just cant afford to. We give 10% off most of the summer months and a few manufacturers run sales during the summer.

Since a Brown Enamel Ashford isn't a stove that would be in stock, I wouldn't expect a discount at any dealer. Typically no discounts are given for a stove that needs ordered, enamel stoves aren't stocked very often.

Yeah we never give discounts. Our price is our price we give our best price to start with so there is no room to discount.

Thanks...I asked the dealer about the black non-enameled one.... same answer about discounts but $400 less expensive... Is the enamel worth it? I don't want a stove with rust spots, especially at these prices...thought the enamel would protect it

"we give our best price to start with...."

so ???

Thanks...I asked the dealer about the black non-enameled one.... same answer about discounts but $400 less expensive... Is the enamel worth it? I don't want a stove with rust spots, especially at these prices...thought the enamel would protect it
The enamel is nice! It always looks new if taken care of, although it can chip if hit. The painted model can simply be repainted if needed. It's really personal taste. I'm surprised they only want $400 extra, i thought was an $800 upgrade?

"we give our best price to start with...."

so ???
Yeah not a bk dealer so i have no clue what the bottom line on one would be. I was just commenting that no discounts is not nessecarily a bad thing.

:oops:_g

I am willing to pull the trigger on a BK but....just wanted some perspective on price..

The price doesn't sound too far off to me. If I remember right, the enamel upgrade is higher though, at least here in the states.

While I really appreciate the gloss and depth of an enamel finish, the risk of damage is huge. I would prefer a stove finish that could be easily renewed if necessary. I’ve seen enamel damage and it looks bad. I’ve repaired paint damage and you couldn’t tell.

Reactions: kenora and bholler
While I really appreciate the gloss and depth of an enamel finish, the risk of damage is huge. I would prefer a stove finish that could be easily renewed if necessary. I’ve seen enamel damage and it looks bad. I’ve repaired paint damage and you couldn’t tell.
I agree

Not really, I've owned a few enameled stoves and still have one from 1984. A good enamel job is pretty tough. That said, they don't like to be abused. The blue-gray enamel finish on Jotuls and some Hearthstones is a good compromise between beauty and durability.

An enamel, sometimes called "porcelain" is worth the extra money. Our blue/black Oslo is over 15 years old used very hard for full time heating. A quick light dusting with a damp rag makes it look new, crack or no crack. The replacement for the Oslo ( cracked top due to owner stupidity ) will be a blue.black enamel ("Twilight" ) VC Encore Flexburn. The past plain cast and steel stoves looked worn after a season of full time heating. They were usually rolled outside ,cleaned then sprayed with hi temp paint...a true PITA if you wanted the wood stove to look pretty. You do want pretty.
Some friends with porcelain stoves did find that they chipped easily--kids playing, pokers, ash shovels, frozen splits. YMMV.

An enamel, sometimes called "porcelain" is worth the extra money. Our blue/black Oslo is over 15 years old used very hard for full time heating. A quick light dusting with a damp rag makes it look new, crack or no crack. The replacement for the Oslo ( cracked top due to owner stupidity ) will be a blue.black enamel ("Twilight" ) VC Encore Flexburn. The past plain cast and steel stoves looked worn after a season of full time heating. They were usually rolled outside ,cleaned then sprayed with hi temp paint...a true PITA if you wanted the wood stove to look pretty. You do want pretty.
Some friends with porcelain stoves did find that they chipped easily--kids playing, pokers, ash shovels, frozen splits. YMMV.
In your opinion it is worth the extra money. In mine it isnt. I see hundreds of stoves a year and i see more enamel stove that look like crap and cant be fixed than painted ones. And again if you have to paint it every year you are either using crappy paint or you are overfiring the stove. But to each their own.

The jotul blue black from what i have seen does appear to be more durable.

The blue/black isn’t porcelain, it’s a very durable baked enamel finish. The others were referring to porcelain enamel, it’s damaged pretty easily.

Not really, I've owned a few enameled stoves and still have one from 1984. A good enamel job is pretty tough. That said, they don't like to be abused. The blue-gray enamel finish on Jotuls and some Hearthstones is a good compromise between beauty and durability.

Not sure what part you’re being all “not really” about but yes really! This is my opinion, you can have one too without belittling others. Right?

As you can see the risk is huge and damage is very common.

Let's not get so sensitive. Begreen was being helpful in his opinion....and mine. Enamel or porcelain finishes can be damaged, but in our experience they are durable if not abused. Worth the attractive look and "cleanupability" ( do not make light of this made up concept ! ).

Reactions: dafattkidd
Just for what it is worth a year ago my local dealer was willing to sell a base ashford 30 mate black for $2400. Brown enamel was significantly more. I don't think he is a BK dealer anymore.

Not sure what part you’re being all “not really” about but yes really! This is my opinion, you can have one too without belittling others. Right?

As you can see the risk is huge and damage is very common.
Most enamel failures that I have seen are from either mechanical abuse or overheating. We have hadn neither issue on the Jotuls we've owned. The Ashford should do much better as the jacket doesn't get up to the high temps that a straight cast iron stove does. BK did a nice job on the enameling. I expect it will last a long time if not mistreated. The 10 yr old paint job on our T6 still looks great. That wasn't true of the full cast iron stove we owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
Lowest quote I got Oct 2017 was $3400 for a painted black Ashford 30.1, and a high of $3800 plus shipping from another shop.

My Hearthstone is basil porcelain and looks fantastic. Just a quick wipe with damp rag and its nice and shiny. I haven't found the trick in how to clean a black painted stove apparently, vacuum gets some of the ash dust off but not all, and if I try to wipe it, the black color turns into grey smear. It's not rusty or in need of repainting, just looks dingy with ash smear. Just have to be careful with the porcelain. I set a rule nothing on the stove ever, no cooking, no steamer, no miscellaneous storage during the summer lol.

My Hearthstone is basil porcelain and looks fantastic. Just a quick wipe with damp rag and its nice and shiny. I haven't found the trick in how to clean a black painted stove apparently, vacuum gets some of the ash dust off but not all, and if I try to wipe it, the black color turns into grey smear. It's not rusty or in need of repainting, just looks dingy with ash smear. Just have to be careful with the porcelain. I set a rule nothing on the stove ever, no cooking, no steamer, no miscellaneous storage during the summer lol.
I just use a dust brush on my painted stove it comes clean with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.