Blaze king princess score and repaint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ohiowoodstove

Dec 20, 2021
Ohio
couple weeks ago I ran across a “blaze king stove” for sale about 3.5 hours from me for 400 bucks. Turned out to be a blaze king princess manufactured in November of 2016. The guy agreed to hold it for me and I made the drive to get it. Man was that drive worth it. This stove aside, from a few pitted rust spots turned out to be an amazing shape. Catalyst looks great and it pretty much came with all the extra bells and whistles BK offered with it. Including the ash drawer and blower fan.

I picked up some stove bright metallic black and after some sanding and elbow grease I put some new life into this ol girl. I plan to do the curing burn outside since it’s already in the barn. Can’t wait to get it installed and enjoy some long burns. Will be a much needed upgrade from my cheapo pleasant hearth, which at my most efficient could only achieve about a 6 hour uncontrolled burn.

17C96840-E236-4F43-8108-178759B9DB40.jpeg D473411B-7E95-4A9B-8ECF-34A47EAE293D.jpeg 7907F20C-6B8E-46C5-BCAC-287951A3301C.jpeg 391D0C41-9476-4112-9306-714A08E794D4.jpeg 9B9D426C-7741-44B9-A35C-1FAD142A256C.jpeg

Nice!
Note that the cat might be okay, but might not be. Looks don't say much. Look at what comes out of the chimney with and without the cat engaged.

Your chimney is tall enough?

Good point. At 400 bucks for the stove you won’t hear me complaining even if I do need to replace the cat. my chimney meets the 15ft minimum per the manual.

Reactions: stoveliker
I agree!

Did you dothe dollar test on the door gasket and bypass gasket?
Is the window secure in its frame ? (Two flat hands inside and out, see if it can be moved in its frame.)

Reactions: Ohiowoodstove
I wonder what happened there that the guy wanted to sell it so cheap? Maybe he didn’t know that brand new they’re 5 grand.

Anyways, nice score man! I love my Princess.

I can tell you exactly what happened, they purchased a home it was already installed in, didn’t know much about the stove and threw it up for a random number. I’m glad he didn’t look it ip! But honestly I didn’t ask many questions about it. I think 400 was a fair gamble especially when you factor in the 8 hour round trip lol

As you are new to a blaze King stove, please make sure your wood is dry enough, as in under 20 pct. You will be disappointed if that is not the case.

And please download the manual from the blaze.king website. It is really advisable to carefully read it before you burn.in the stove. It's not hard to operate at all, but it is important to do things correctly, for the longevity of the stove.

Reactions: DonTee
Great score! Yeah even if it needs a new cat your still way ahead.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually got a manual with the stove. I’ve also been heavily researching them the last year so. I also luckily have about 2 and half cords of primo hard maple and some locust that has been split and dry for the last 3 years. I’m excited to have stove heat for my home be a viable option

Reactions: Todd and stoveliker
You are in an enviable position, starting with a BK with three year old maple. Great job.

Well to be fair I’ve fought my cheapy pleasant hearth stove for about 2 years now and I’ve hated that thing since the day I got it. It’s been nothing but a headache. It’ll be nice having something that can be controlled!

As for the cat. I’m willing to take my chances to see where we are at with it. I get the logic, just willing to risk it. This isn’t my primary heat source (yet)

Total score! Put it up for sale for $4,000 and you'll 10x your investment!

Or use it for the next 20 years at a cost of $20 per season...

Reactions: VintageGal
Total score! Put it up for sale for $4,000 and you'll 10x your investment!
Hey man I actually do have a question for you. When I went to remove the thermostat cover the whole thing came off. There’s a bead of adhesive around the mating surface from the thermostat to the stove. Do I need to reseal this?

Hey man I actually do have a question for you. When I went to remove the thermostat cover the whole thing came off. There’s a bead of adhesive around the mating surface from the thermostat to the stove. Do I need to reseal this?
Yes. Use high temp RTV. Two notes of caution. First, have the thermostat in place and then apply a same bead on the outside perimeter.
Second, do not install the cover for 48 hours, lest it get stuck to the RTV making future removal a bear.

Yes. Use high temp RTV. Two notes of caution. First, have the thermostat in place and then apply a same bead on the outside perimeter.
Second, do not install the cover for 48 hours, lest it get stuck to the RTV making future removal a bear.
awesome thank you. Is the RTV the only thing that holds the thermostat on? I'm curious why it popped off with the cover in the first place. Do you happen to have, or know where I can find an installation manual?

While the cover is off, lubricate the thermostat shaft with spray silicone.