Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pander son, congrats to you and your new stove, after you fiddle with it more you'll understand what it likes, and does'nt like as far as temp settings go..
And, I have no doubt that your stove will heat your space just fine, without it running hard/on hi..
I'm heating WAYMORE cubic ft. That the king is rated for and it just chugs along, t-stat set at about the 3;15 o'clock setting 95 % of the time..

thanks for your help, everyone. we're able to very nicely heat our place with our Princess. she runs 24/7. we fill the stove with about 40 pound of wood ( or pieces are too big to stock the stove well. will have to do more splitting) and it burns beautifully for about 8 hours at which point we have beautiful red hot coals and fill again. we look forward to more experimenting but are quite pleased with our Princess' performance. thanks everyone for your help!

thanks for your help, everyone. we're able to very nicely heat our place with our Princess. she runs 24/7. we fill the stove with about 40 pound of wood ( or pieces are too big to stock the stove well. will have to do more splitting) and it burns beautifully for about 8 hours at which point we have beautiful red hot coals and fill again. we look forward to more experimenting but are quite pleased with our Princess' performance. thanks everyone for your help!

8hrs on a Pricess?

Let me ask this. Are you running the stove with visable flame after the initial 20 to 30 minutes on reload/loading? If you are that may explain your very short burn time. That stove should go way way longer per load. Unless you need to run it hard for required heat? Curious.
Maybe its the non conforming split size limiting your load size? Either way its good to hear your getting on to it!

8hrs on a Pricess?

Let me ask this. Are you running the stove with visable flame after the initial 20 to 30 minutes on reload/loading? If you are that may explain your very short burn time. That stove should go way way longer per load. Unless you need to run it hard for required heat? Curious.
Maybe its the non conforming split size limiting your load size? Either way its good to hear your getting on to it!
its generally a misconception with these stoves about needing flames in the firebox for adequate heat, I did a little test with my stove last week with a stove top thermometer, If i let the stove heat up to a 500deg stove top then turn the t-stat back to let the flames die out, I will maintain a stove top between 475 - 500 deg f for 10 hrs on a smoldering load, the stove top thermometer is located just to the left of where the cat is, but not over the cat.

its generally a misconception with these stoves about needing flames in the firebox for adequate heat, I did a little test with my stove last week with a stove top thermometer, If i let the stove heat up to a 500deg stove top then turn the t-stat back to let the flames die out, I will maintain a stove top between 475 - 500 deg f for 10 hrs on a smoldering load, the stove top thermometer is located just to the left of where the cat is, but not over the cat.
Yes but it is a pretty small hot spot. With the top at those temps on non cats the rest of the stove will be much hotter putting out much more heat. It all depends what you need.

first order one of these or one that you like, http://www.condar.com/Catalytic_Thermometers.html

then order one of these also http://www.condar.com/Probe_Thermometers.html

and this https://www.homedepot.com/p/General...ViY2zCh3a9wIQEAYYASABEgJ9i_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

of coarse get what you like.

these are 2 very important gauges and i went without them for 2 years. I wasted a lot of wood. It will take you a lil bit to get used to the stove and how it works also, especially if your are beginner like i was. The thermostat gets a lil to get used too and trust me small increases do make a big difference, but it does take a hr or so before you see the heat increase..

also getting used to what fits in your princess will take some time. so take note of your splits and thickness of them also..

creosote inside the stove is normal but you wanna turn the tstat on full blast every once in awhile to burn it all out. Check your door gasket with a dollar bill test..

long burn times are awesome but if your still cold don't be afraid to turn it up, Like I said it will take some time to figure out the right setting. Remember its a wood stove and it will take awhile for it to heat your house. if you want instant heat then by all means turn the tstat up and you'll have that thing cooking real quick...

Yes but it is a pretty small hot spot. With the top at those temps on non cats the rest of the stove will be much hotter putting out much more heat. It all depends what you need.
Ok, see this like a conversation and not like i am arguing with you. Remember @kennyp2339 is talking about a complete dark/smoldering box. Yes at that point the top is the one part of the stove giving the heat and you are correct saying is an small part compared to the rest of the stove. but it is a constant heat for so many hrs that can handle for many of us our heating needs. Now, remember i can run it with flames or higher settings and get the same results as non cat and handle higher heat demand if need it. My previous non cat has shields on side and rear. i used to touch the side and rear when was running hard and hot.

Ok, see this like a conversation and not like i am arguing with you. Remember @kennyp2339 is talking about a complete dark/smoldering box. Yes at that point the top is the one part of the stove giving the heat and you are correct saying is an small part compared to the rest of the stove. but it is a constant heat for so many hrs that can handle for many of us our heating needs. Now, remember i can run it with flames or higher settings and get the same results as non cat and handle higher heat demand if need it. My previous non cat has shields on side and rear. i used to touch the side and rear when was running hard and hot.
Yes you can absolutly run higher. And yes the heat is nice and even and i like that. But from my experience so far with the princess sitting in the same spot same chimney same pipe same wood taking temps at various spots on the stove the surface of the princess with the thermostat open fully other than over the cat is considerably cooler than the 3100 running about 3/4 shut which gave me the highest heatoutput. In my case i dont see that as a problem because i wasnt pushing the 3100 hard to heat this house. But for some it would be.

Yes you can absolutly run higher. And yes the heat is nice and even and i like that. But from my experience so far with the princess sitting in the same spot same chimney same pipe same wood taking temps at various spots on the stove the surface of the princess with the thermostat open fully other than over the cat is considerably cooler than the 3100 running about 3/4 shut which gave me the highest heatoutput. In my case i dont see that as a problem because i wasnt pushing the 3100 hard to heat this house. But for some it would be.
which one do you have the ultra?

I dont know which ever one shower guy lent me.
the ultra has the side shields and that why i have and feeling it does more convective heat to the front into the room than radiation from the sides.

the ultra has the side shields and that why i have and feeling it does more convective heat to the front into the room than radiation from the sides.
Yes it has side sheilds as did the 3100. And a back sheild with the blower pushing air through it and then over the top. Just the same as the 3100

8hrs on a Pricess?

If you read from the top, their first burn went 24 hours but wasn't putting out the required heat since it's already cold in Minnesota.

It's 8 hours now because they cranked it up!