Blaze King reload Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sequoia

Apr 10, 2015
Iowa
If I understand correctly, if you open the door when the Cat is active, it can shock the cat and cause damage. So, is it safe to reload when the cat is only barely active and I'm down to coals? Also, what if I'm down to coals but the cat is fairly active and I need to leave for the day so a reload is needed. Will it damage the cat to open the door?

+1
That is the purpose of the bypass. Open bypass, wait at least 30 sec or so and open the door. What you don't want to do is open the door with the bypass closed, that is what shocks the cat.

Reactions: sequoia
Agreed, there is no problem with opening the door at anytime during the burn cycle so long as the bypass is open every time you open the door. The really old stoves even had an auto-bypass opening contraption so that you would never open the door without the bypass open.

The risk with opening the door while a load of fuel is still burning is smoke rollout. It's really easy to stink up the house.

Just this morning I reloaded on a 33% full firebox with cat meter at 1 o'clock.

Reactions: sequoia
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.