Blaze King Smells Smokey On Low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SD Golden

Aug 1, 2018
South Dakota
I'm still learning my Sirocco 30, this weekend I had the house warmed up and thought I'd turn it down and go for a long burn. About half an hour or so after turning it down I could smell a faint smoke smell upstairs that was noticeably stronger down stairs. I turned the stove back up about half way and the smell dissipated over time. Is this common or do I need to do something different or is it a draft problem on low? The chimney is 4' of double wall stove pipe inside, a double wall 90 with 1' of double wall stove pipe horizontal connected to 2' of class A though the wall, a T, then 18' of class A up the side.

Post some pictures if able, so the higher ups can diagnose it for you.

I will add that one thing could be the problem, try cracking a window, you might be pulling a negative inside the house. If that helps you might think about an outside air source.

Have you checked the tension on the door gasket with a dollar bill?

Was there a breeze outside?

Does your chimney cap terminate 2 feet above any part of your building within10 feet and at least 3 feet above the roofline?

How cold was it outside?

I can induce the smoke/creo stink by turning my therm. down too far. Everyone's (stove/pipe) setup is different. You will find a sweet spot to turn down to with experience. My low position is actually at 3, or the halfway position. This position is just a bit lower than where it needs to be to extinguish active flame. Any less and my cat begins to stall and I get a distinct smell.
Surely another section of pipe up top would give me a different position on my dial. Just my experience. FWIW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im breaking in an insert since last Saturday. Later at night I thought I smelled smoke and went down to investigate. It had hit a new high temp and it was actually the paint burning. It really smelled like wood smoke at first but turned out to be the paint.

Have you checked the tension on the door gasket with a dollar bill?

Was there a breeze outside?

Does your chimney cap terminate 2 feet above any part of your building within10 feet and at least 3 feet above the roofline?

How cold was it outside?

I forgot to include those, the door seal is tight on a dollar all the way around, the chimney is 5 feet above the roof line (2.5 above the peak 11 feet away) and it was about 35° outside.

I think I know where this is going...

Some changes have been made on the assembly line. I know that lots of NOS stoves must exist that haven’t benefited from the changes.

First though would be to establish that the install is bueno.

Am I missing something?

A long history of smoke smells reported by users of the BK 30 lineup. Some have been attributed to too little flue height, some to gaskets, some to too much draft. You can read a bunch if you search the forums for Ashford smoke smell or Sirocco smoke smell. Supposedly it’s a tiny percentage of stoves sold, but it sure seems high on this forum.

The problem can be with the install of the stove or operator error. I think the BK veterans on this site want to see if that’s the problem before assuming it’s the stove. If it is the stove, the BK company will solve that, too.

Have you dropped into the BK operation thread? In addition to finding lots of history in those, you’ll get a lot of support from folks who have more experience (even with smoke smells).

I’m just on the verge of ordering a Sirocco 30 myself, and I wouldn’t be doing it if I hadn’t seen how BKVP (the Vice President of the company) stepped up to make sure all customers were satisfied.

Reactions: Highbeam and lsucet
Thanks for the response. I only wish I had learned about this before dropping the coin on this stove. After more use and observation of stove operation, I'm not convinced it's a lack of draft as has been suggested to me, especially after doing more research and finding people with the same result despite several different chimney configurations. For now I'm stuck with a stove that makes good heat but fills my basement with a campfire smell, that is clearly originating from the top left side of the door upon inspection. Since this is an absolute deal breaker with the wife, I now have a very expensive room ornament and I'll have to explore other options as far as wood heat going forward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I only wish I had learned about this before dropping the coin on this stove. After more use and observation of stove operation, I'm not convinced it's a lack of draft as has been suggested to me, especially after doing more research and finding people with the same result despite several different chimney configurations. For now I'm stuck with a stove that makes good heat but fills my basement with a campfire smell, that is clearly originating from the top left side of the door upon inspection. Since this is an absolute deal breaker with the wife, I now have a very expensive room ornament and I'll have to explore other options as far as wood heat going forward.
Dont give up on it. You should rule out the easy things first. You should also talk with your dealer about it and maybe start a conversation with @BKVP.

The chimney is 4' of double wall stove pipe inside, a double wall 90 with 1' of double wall stove pipe horizontal connected to 2' of class A though the wall, a T, then 18' of class A up the side.
So basically 22' of stack with two 90s which might knock 5' off your effective stack height. Then subtract more for exterior Class A, I'm not sure how much. Could be some other problem, but probably not enough draft yet for the BK. Might not be able to go for that long burn unless you can find more draw.

I have the same experience however I am heating a large area and don’t turn it down below half throttle. It would be nice to turn down real low when I leave for work but I can’t due to smoke smell.

I have noticed the issue has improved with burning properly seasoned wood but it still is noticeable.

Reactions: black smoke signals