Blaze King Uphoria

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright at the advice of stoveliker and others I have let her burn down, stuffed her full, gonna let her cook on high then dial down and walk away…….

View attachment 293557
Gotta love this stove……so I loaded at 5:51pm…..ran on high for 30 minutes……dialed her back to 70% a few minutes then back to 30% and walked away…….woke up this morning to a warm house(overnight temp of 25)….bumped her up to high(see pic below)……reloaded at 9:30am……good advice indeed…..lol downside to owning a Princess is I think my wife is getting a tad jealous of my infatuation……..

9E6A69E0-5632-4AEC-B91A-7E84B1D24586.jpeg

Lol, there's two babies in the house now, the SO and the one keeping you warm :)

View attachment 293563

This must be new? Don't remember it in my ashford manual- I thought everything will be fine as long as bypass and air is open for a bit.
Been running my Princess for 5 years now..I do the bypass and air thing and I often do hot reloads with the dial well into the active range..especially when I am running late for work...lol...i have not had any issues..

Been running my Princess for 5 years now..I do the bypass and air thing and I often do hot reloads with the dial well into the active range..especially when I am running late for work...lol...i have not had any issues..
Thanks, I did speak to folks at BK and the rep said that it was not imperative to run it completely down, she suggested that it be reloaded in a fashion to maintain the home comfortably, but as you point out life’s schedule doesn’t revolve around the stove solely. It’s good to hear others who are successfully operating and enjoying their stove with different schedules, habits and procedures.

Thanks, I did speak to folks at BK and the rep said that it was not imperative to run it completely down, she suggested that it be reloaded in a fashion to maintain the home comfortably, but as you point out life’s schedule doesn’t revolve around the stove solely. It’s good to hear others who are successfully operating and enjoying their stove with different schedules, habits and procedures.
My only issue and this was early on was putting in too much wood for my 12 hour schedule...lol...a great problem to have! I have her figured out and dialed in now..

My only issue and this was early on was putting in too much wood for my 12 hour schedule...lol...a great problem to have! I have her figured out and dialed in now..
It is easy to get caught up in the extended burn times this stove offers and sort of forget that at the end of the day she is still a wood stove that will need cleaned, tuned and operated according to many individual circumstances…..but OH MY what an AWESOME machine it is……my wood stove useage while lengthy was mostly limited to the ole Schrader that came with our house as I grew up on natural gas as a kid, the one thing I don’t see mentioned often is the ease of lighting this stove which for us is at least is like 100 times simpler with no internal smoke smell, the ole Schrader took a while from a cold start and no matter how much you tried you knew the fire had been lit……..the Princess, build the tower light and she takes off like she has an internal combustion fan….I think mostly it is the top exhaust verses the rear of the Schrader…….in any case LOVE THIS STOVE so far !!

Last edited:
Reactions: BKVP and Tar12
Old Log House I have my no.2 grandson for the weekend and I could tell when he walked in he was not feeling well so i fired up the stove with a 3/4 load of ash and dialed it in to take the chill out of the house ...it will burn well into tomorrow morning...i just checked in on him and he is sleeping comfortably with a bedroom temp of 73..I have 3 grandsons and they all like helping papaw load the stove...lol

Old Log House I have my no.2 grandson for the weekend and I could tell when he walked in he was not feeling well so i fired up the stove with a 3/4 load of ash and dialed it in to take the chill out of the house ...it will burn well into tomorrow morning...i just checked in on him and he is sleeping comfortably with a bedroom temp of 73..I have 3 grandsons and they all like helping papaw load the stove...lol
Argh! Argh!……the Medicinal benefits of the Blaze King……

Alien Technology is what I heard...can't claim any Medicinal benefits lest FDA come knocking. But I can say it feels wonderful to snag a pillow off the sofa and crash in front of the stove.

Alien Technology is what I heard...can't claim any Medicinal benefits lest FDA come knocking. But I can say it feels wonderful to snag a pillow off the sofa and crash in front of the stove.
Most evenings in the dead of winter I can be found asleep in my Lazy Boy..lol

BKVP…..I was wondering if the thermostats in the King and Princess are set the same so to speak and if you can disclose the high/low temps for say High-Med-Low………my curiosity is such that I ended up with the Princess mostly because that was what was in stock and the sqft recommendation suited our needs….after operating for a short period I believe I would have gladly paid the difference for the larger load and longer burn….would I have regretted getting the King?

The king would have required an 8" flue - much more expensive and if you ever wanted to change stoves your choice would be very limited or you'd have to get a new flue (again).

I also don't think the "temperature " calibration makes sense to compare; a bigger stove (as in bigger surface area that can convect and radiate) at the same temperature as a smaller stove will put out more heat. Hence any quantification in temperature to compare stoves is not very useful imo.

Reactions: Old Log House
The king would have required an 8" flue - much more expensive and if you ever wanted to change stoves your choice would be very limited or you'd have to get a new flue (again).

I also don't think the "temperature " calibration makes sense to compare; a bigger stove (as in bigger surface area that can convect and radiate) at the same temperature as a smaller stove will put out more heat. Hence any quantification in temperature to compare stoves is not very useful imo.
Yep, I was sure the other evening when I checked the King specs it said 6” but I just double checked and it for sure says 8”…….so yep pretty much a mute point as I would not have modified for the King.

Yep, I was sure the other evening when I checked the King specs it said 6” but I just double checked and it for sure says 8”…….so yep pretty much a mute point as I would not have modified for the King.
I am however going to require the high/lows together with the MC variations together with some btu calcs and some math on burn rates because my wife looked at me the other night as I explained the intricacies involved in operating a machine such as the BKP32 and she says “Right, but don’t you just load it, set it and walk away?”🤔…..lol

I am however going to require the high/lows together with the MC variations together with some btu calcs and some math on burn rates because my wife looked at me the other night as I explained the intricacies involved in operating a machine such as the BKP32 and she says “Right, but don’t you just load it, set it and walk away?”🤔…..lol
The nerve of some people, sounds like your roommate doesnt appreciate the power of the BKP32.

BKVP…..I was wondering if the thermostats in the King and Princess are set the same so to speak and if you can disclose the high/low temps for say High-Med-Low………my curiosity is such that I ended up with the Princess mostly because that was what was in stock and the sqft recommendation suited our needs….after operating for a short period I believe I would have gladly paid the difference for the larger load and longer burn….would I have regretted getting the King?
The thermostat springs are manufactured differently. Heat output on top end and bottom end are only slightly different.

As to whether you would or wouldn't have regretted getting a King, hard for me to say. Most folks just love their Princesses!

I’ve wondered if the reload schedule of the king might be a little trickier for a work schedule. The princess seems like clockwork. I’ve also been glad I had the smaller stove during the shoulder season but it wouldn’t surprise me if some veteran king burners had everything dialed in just as well or better

Is this a ceramic cat vs metal cat thing? Ceramic cats are more sensitive to seeing cold air when they are hot, I believe.
Maybe, but his Ashford came with a steelcat, as I thought they still do today.

As the others already have already said, it’s best to stuff as much wood into the stove on each load, as your heating demand will allow. Opening the door on a hot cat is not disastrous, we’ve all had to do it on occasion, but does put unnecessary stress on everything (including your forearm hairs).

I’ve wondered if the reload schedule of the king might be a little trickier for a work schedule. The princess seems like clockwork. I’ve also been glad I had the smaller stove during the shoulder season but it wouldn’t surprise me if some veteran king burners had everything dialed in just as well or better
There are times the larger capacity of the King is an issue. I've loaded mine based upon weather predictions that were not even close to what really happens.

Then when I go to add fuel because I'll be out looking for sheds or other Spring activities, but there's little to no room available! The load is charred and requires quite a bit of bashing to make room for a piece or two.

It's hard for me to admit this, but sometimes, not often, I need to load less wood so I feel better about adding fuel when I'll be away all day or overnight.

Reactions: Nealm66
Maybe, but his Ashford came with a steelcat, as I thought they still do today.

As the others already have already said, it’s best to stuff as much wood into the stove on each load, as your heating demand will allow. Opening the door on a hot cat is not disastrous, we’ve all had to do it on occasion, but does put unnecessary stress on everything (including your forearm hairs).
I should clarify that thermal shock, the rapid change in combustor surface temperatures, plays havoc with the washcoat. The washcoat carries the precious metals (palladium and platinum) and after excessive thermal shock experiences, it becomes less stable. Then when exposed to over firing, it looses surface area and flattens out. When it flattens out, it both becomes less effective at PM reduction and delamination can start.

A substrate, regardless of composition, then become compromised. Ceramics substrates crack, chips appear and eventually implode. Metal substrates become distorted and will plug up, as there is no catalyst left at this point.

There are times the larger capacity of the King is an issue. I've loaded mine based upon weather predictions that were not even close to what really happens.

Then when I go to add fuel because I'll be out looking for sheds or other Spring activities, but there's little to no room available! The load is charred and requires quite a bit of bashing to make room for a piece or two.

It's hard for me to admit this, but sometimes, not often, I need to load less wood so I feel better about adding fuel when I'll be away all day or overnight.
Man, just made me think of those times I blindly stuffed my princess full and found out 12hours later that a warm front moved in. That would be a whole other level of whoops with the big king

Only if you call 14 300 BTU per hour versus 12 500 BTU per hour "a whole nother level of whoops"...

It's the same technology, and nearly similar low output range (slightly higher because of the larger surface area of the king). You'd not be that different after dialing it down to it's lowest output level. The bigger difference is on the high output side where the larger load when it's all burning produces quite a bit more heat for the king. (And of course the burn time is larger for a given burn rate.)

“Right, but don’t you just load it, set it and walk away?”🤔…..lol
Set our stove an hour and a half ago. Won't be touching it again until late this afternoon, if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.