Block off plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchy

Dec 15, 2009
Northern NJ
Hi All

Been reading a lot of great stuff on this forum about having a block off plate. Especially with an insert. My question is and please be patient with me is with my insert I have the surround panels which do cover the whole opening of the fireplace so how does the heat get back to the living area, or does having this plate keep the area all around the stove warmer longer which radiates back into the room? "Uh Oh" did I just answer my own question? My liner goes all the way up from the top of the stove collar with I guess its called flex then terminates on top into a 5-6 ft stainless with cap.

Thanks
John

P.S. For the most part the 5100 really heats up a storm and I am real happy with its performance, but I kinda don't see the sense especially in these times to be wasting anything if I can make it more better..

Well...ya kinda answered your own question. Just for clarification, the block off plate that most refer to is located at the base of the chimney opening and is designed to go between your stove and the open part of the flue (if that makes any sense). Its purpose is to NOT allow heat from the stove to escape up your lined chimney.

Its especially benificial if your liner is not insulated and you have an exterior walled chimney.

Thanks...

Yeah, I kinda realized after typing I might of answered it. Well it certainly seems to be a win win. Higher temps, being able to lower air back even more, and longer heat radiation means more efficient all the way around... nice

No the liner is not so... even more better.

I think that this project I will tackle after the season. I will use the time during the season to collect the materials I need and start it after. Thanks again for everybody's input. Man this site is the best...

John

It's worth the effort. Search the Forums as there is a ton of good info and pictures on here of various designs.

Thanks Cy,

Already doing

Status
Not open for further replies.