Blocking fireplace opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I was at my son's yesterday who has an wood burning insert. There was just a medium sized log and maybe half of another than had been burning for a while. It was amazingly (to me) warm in the room. My D-I-L said it can get to be too hot. The firebox of the insert is maybe about 2/3rds the size of my Vermont Castings Dutchwest if that, For the same amount of wood their living room was almost twice as warm as mine would be. My stove exhausts to the chimney via the fireplace. Although the opening to my chimney is blocked off for the most part with fire-resistant boards - it seems there's still a draft. I also noticed their insert is lined with fire brick, my stove is not. I wonder if theirs is so much better due to it being an insert with the panels around it enclosing the area around the fireplace effectively sealing it?

Is the cat in good working order on the Dutchwest?
The heat may be circulating differently in their house. Some house layouts trap the heat in the stove room, others less so. Different houses heat differently due to different layouts, insulation, windows, nearby stairwell, etc. It may be

Probably the cat is due to be replaced. I do run it for about a half hour with the lever up (more air diverted up the exhaust I think) then move it down. The air really doesn't circulate, at my son's, it's just the living room that's warm. But very warm compared to mine. I'd be fine with that, as I have a couple small fans in place for other rooms. I'm just wondering if good performance is a nature of inserts, and maybe part of that is the fireplace opening is blocked with sheet metal. For the heck of it I added some fire brick in mine. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed to help a little. Also, I'm getting the same or maybe slightly better heat now with a bit less wood.

Speaking of stairwells, the 2nd floor is no longer used. A few years ago I put up curtains to keep a lot of the warm air from going upstairs, and there's a noticeable temperature drop now on the second floor. But - thinking of what you said about different house layouts, their living room just has one exit, while mine has two. Maybe that's a factor. Also, theirs is a ranch, mine is a cape,

The fire brick is an inexpensive experiment, they were on sale at TSC. I should have done some more research though. I now realize there's two different types, one for firebox protection and another type is said to reflect heat, maybe pumice based? Anyway, I bought the less expensive protective type, Don't know if it any would even make a difference as the stove was designed to be without them.

Last edited:
Not all stoves have firebrick by design. The 2461 was a decent heater.

I was at my son's yesterday who has an wood burning insert. There was just a medium sized log and maybe half of another than had been burning for a while. It was amazingly (to me) warm in the room. My D-I-L said it can get to be too hot. The firebox of the insert is maybe about 2/3rds the size of my Vermont Castings Dutchwest if that, For the same amount of wood their living room was almost twice as warm as mine would be. My stove exhausts to the chimney via the fireplace. Although the opening to my chimney is blocked off for the most part with fire-resistant boards - it seems there's still a draft. I also noticed their insert is lined with fire brick, my stove is not. I wonder if theirs is so much better due to it being an insert with the panels around it enclosing the area around the fireplace effectively sealing it?
Do you have an insulated stainless liner? Do you have an insulated block off plate?

Do you have an insulated stainless liner? Do you have an insulated block off plate?

None of the above. The insert at my son's was probably done professionally. Don't know the history as they bought the house with it.

Some house layouts trap the heat in the stove room, others less so. Different houses heat differently due to different layouts, insulation, windows, nearby stairwell, etc.

Thinking about this more, it would be easy to try blocking one of two or maybe both living room passageways. I have a small 4" fan in the upper corner of one to move air to the dining room, that has helped to heat it when necessary. I'd open that and turn on the fan as needed.

Last edited:
None of the above. The insert at my son's was probably done professionally. Don't know the history as they bought the house with it.
So your stove just vents into the old fireplace?

So your stove just vents into the old fireplace?

Yes, with fireproof panels cut to fit around the pipe and the rest of the opening. Best way to describe it is 2 pieces, the same dimensions of the removed flue, cut to fit around the vent pipe. and cover the rest of the opening. The vent pipe goes up about a foot above panels. Not a perfect fit though, there are a few small gaps. But the draft through the stove is very good.

Last edited:
Yes, with fireproof panels cut to fit around the pipe and the rest of the opening. Best way to describe it is 2 pieces, the same dimensions of the removed flue, cut to fit around the vent pipe. and cover the rest of the opening. The vent pipe goes up about a foot above panels. Not a perfect fit though, there are a few small gaps. But the draft through the stove is very good.
Don't worry about adding brick or anything else before installing it properly with a full liner block off plate etc

Reactions: EbS-P