Blue Pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wjlundyjr

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Central Michigan
I have the double wall insulated Simpson pipe coming out of the roof, when I was up looking at it for a mid-season cleaning, I noticed a patch of blue around near the end of the pipe just before the cap, its a small circle about the size of a volleyball.. Is this something to be concerned with, how do I fix it?

Thanks,

John

Do you have a picture? Is it all the way around or just on the side that is predominantly downwind?

i get this too when its really cold out and im burning 24/7 seems to go away on its own later in the season. i burn perfect wood and burn hot and sweep my own pipe and get little to no creosote.

I have this also. From the cap to about a foot down on the downwind side

In sculpture we call it heat patina. Discoloration of the SS from heat. There's a range of colors at different temps, from purples to browns, gold, red, eventually a sort of dull blue-grey. I have the same on my exterior chimney, and it's the color of the lower end of the spectrum. No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.