Board and batten shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Someone built a wood shed with "fake" board and batten using plywood and either plywood or cedar strips. I can't remember the details, and wanted to ask some relevant questions. Anybody know who that was or where the thread is located? I've been searching for a half an hour now!

I wonder if you are thinking of using T-11 siding with 1" x 3" nailed over the grooves. My dad has a board and batten shed that he is taking down for a new vinyl sided shed. His old one is rough cut pine, board widths of 5" to 8" with a 1" x 3" nailed over the gaps. If you need pics, let me know, it will be gone in a week or so.

my house is has that type of siding it looks good from a distance but up close you can tell its ply... any how its 20 some years old so as soon as i get some loot together im gonna put up vinal shakes... if you want pics let me know i can get them for ya tonight

Me . . . I would want a woodshed with more ventilation . . . which is why I built a board and batten woodshed . . . without the batten for better air circulation.

I'm building a shed, not a woodshed, but I was thinking someone here built a woodshed like that. Maybe I'm thinking of my other forum...

Danno77 said:
I'm building a shed, not a woodshed, but I was thinking someone here built a woodshed like that. Maybe I'm thinking of my other forum...

Ah, in that case it would make a lot of sense to have the shed completely enclosed. Thought you were looking for plans for a woodshed.

If I use exterior glue rated plywood and then either rip some 1x? Boards into 1x2s for the battens, and then paint it should I be ok?

Would there be a best method for this sort of thing? Like back priming the battens or using glue along with the nails, or using pressure treated plywood, or using cedar for the battens?

Any advice is appreciated. I don't have the appropriate horizontal framing to accommodate real B&B, so that's out of the question. Besides, I figured this could be a cheaper solution that if prepped right could last indefinitely.

I think you Deff want to use exterior grade ply ,,, tho perhaps not pressure treated,, then stain or paint it , then make ur batten strips " mine are rough saw 1 by 2" stain or paint them ,,, then install them , i would use screws with a pilot hole so the battens dont split.

Status
Not open for further replies.