boiler alarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schwaggly

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2009
n.shore ma
my gas boiler alarm went off this morning at 6:30. When my insert is cranking my gas boiler is off. When I fall asleep wifey poo sneaks downstairs and cranks up the thermostat.
This morning the steam radiators started whistling but not enough to wake me up. My 2 little yipey dogs started freaking out and woke me up. I wondered if it was a rampant squirrel
or the neighborhood cat but it was something far more dastardly, my natural gas boiler!. I quickly shut that down and stoked up the regency then got some treats for my watchdogs.

Be a hero and install a digital thermometer on the boiler for the wife for Christmas. That way she can wake to a reasonably warm house, and yet the boiler will remain off during most hours. Running the natural gas boiler for an hour in the morning is going to cost what, a buck?

I pulled my thermostat and it only has 2 black wires and all the new ones have 4 pretty color coded wires.

That's ok, get a Lux unit. They are battery powered and don't need the transformer leg. I used one on our pellet stove and it worked great. PM me if you want more details.

I put a honeywell in today it was pretty easy. Now my alarm crew will have to go back to protecting the wood pile.

Way to go schwaggly. Hope you got a nice hug and kiss for the consideration. Who knows, she might just join you helping out with the fire a bit more.

The alarm crew enjoying their reassignment. Am I a scumbag for telling the wife the Tstat is very sensitive and not to touch it?

Attachments

• wood dogs.jpg
    wood dogs.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 129
schwaggly said:
The alarm crew enjoying their reassignment. Am I a scumbag for telling the wife the Tstat is very sensitive and not to touch it?

I'm a "cat person" myself . . . but those dogs are wicked cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.