Boys weekend plans........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2013
Rhode Island
So , I manged to sucker 5 of my friends to travel up north to VT to my mother in laws for a wood cutters weekend. We have fairly ambitions plans. I already had 5 cords of oak and maple dropped off that needs to be split.(already bucked up), and we are building a new woodshed. I stole this picture from Google, but i noticed that is from another hearth member. We are going to go with a 3 bay design. I imagine that there will be a few beers and cigars consumed over the weekend. If I survive i will add pictures. Wish us luck. wood-shed-plans.jpg

Good for you tigger. However, it sounds like you are not ready for next winter, especially with that oak. We give it 3 years in the stack and that is stacked outdoors. When you stack wood in a shed, it will take longer to dry. That is why most folks will dry the wood out in the wind and sun before moving it into the shed.

In addition, that oak and maple that you had dropped off you say still needs to be split. Yes! Wood really won't dry except for the ends until it has been split and stacked out in the wind. You need air circulation. So that wood you have will not be ready to burn next winter. If possible, I'd try to get some soft maple, pine or white birch for this coming winter.

Good luck.

Yea that is the plan. I am trying to get her at least 2 years out for wood. The ideal goal is 3 years. I am trying to get as much maple as I can for now and save the oak for the future.

Well by by the looks of your last post it sure will air dry now. That sucks I"ve pulled some stunts like that crap happens but it will not happen again I'm sure good luck on the rebuild and all have a good laugh that's all ya can do.

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.