Sassafras for drugs?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Raithi

Jan 20, 2018
SE Ohio
Really weird encounter today learned something though.

I was out at my gramps cutting out a lot of dead sass with my uncle and his boy, one hillside is completely overtaken by mulltaflora rose and it is strangling everything. The ground has thawed here in the lower parts of Ohio and its been raining so everything is like a soup sandwich. No way my pickup could make it there, it was either atv or deuce and a half. I did not want to make 20 trips in and out. so 6x6 it was. We cut pretty much only sassafras today and got about 5 cords on the load we took out.

I stopped at my gramps on the way out, my cousin and her boyfriend had showed up over there. Her boyfriend pulled me of to the side and commented on all of the sassafras we were cutting, which really surprised me that he even knew what it was. I wouldn't expect this guy to know his poophead from a hole in the ground. Then he asked me if he could have some of the roots. I said sure, I could pull a stump up for him when I go back out if he wanted to make some tea or whatnot. He chuckled and asked if I could pull all the stumps for him!

I asked him what the hell he was planning to do with that much sassafras root... then he did it, guy came right out and said it, he wanted to make esctacy. What the folk is wrong with people. He then goes into a tirade about how its all made from safrole oil, then this chemical, then that, the whole time I just want to punch him in the mouth. He should have just stuck with "200 gallons of sass tea", I would've been more likely to help him out.

Came home and did a little googling, Ill be damned if hes not right though. Certain tree species in south east asia are endangered now due to overzealous safrole oil harvesting.

But for drugs? Seriously? From root beer to esctacy. Crazy.

Really weird encounter today learned something though.

I was out at my gramps cutting out a lot of dead sass with my uncle and his boy, one hillside is completely overtaken by mulltaflora rose and it is strangling everything. The ground has thawed here in the lower parts of Ohio and its been raining so everything is like a soup sandwich. No way my pickup could make it there, it was either atv or deuce and a half. I did not want to make 20 trips in and out. so 6x6 it was. We cut pretty much only sassafras today and got about 5 cords on the load we took out.

I stopped at my gramps on the way out, my cousin and her boyfriend had showed up over there. Her boyfriend pulled me of to the side and commented on all of the sassafras we were cutting, which really surprised me that he even knew what it was. I wouldn't expect this guy to know his poophead from a hole in the ground. Then he asked me if he could have some of the roots. I said sure, I could pull a stump up for him when I go back out if he wanted to make some tea or whatnot. He chuckled and asked if I could pull all the stumps for him!

I asked him what the hell he was planning to do with that much sassafras root... then he did it, guy came right out and said it, he wanted to make esctacy. What the folk is wrong with people. He then goes into a tirade about how its all made from safrole oil, then this chemical, then that, the whole time I just want to punch him in the mouth. He should have just stuck with "200 gallons of sass tea", I would've been more likely to help him out.

Came home and did a little googling, Ill be damned if hes not right though. Certain tree species in south east asia are endangered now due to overzealous safrole oil harvesting.

But for drugs? Seriously? From root beer to esctacy. Crazy.
Maybe you should give him some dried-up poison ivy leaves and say it's "natural weed." ;)

You got 5 cords out on a deuce?

Well, its actually a 5 ton :) 7x14 cargo bed. I put some high bed rails on it. Stacked up close to 8" load.

Got a little squirely comming down the muddy hill from the woods, but we made it.

my vote goes to the dried poison ivy, here dude.. take a puff of this sh++... heheheheh... I started a thread about wood bums, (has this ever happened to you).. and thats their prob.... too much doing drugs,, not enough wood cutting....